Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Handwriting in exam (aqa core 1 maths) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    In my maths exam, I was in a hurry due to spending loads of time on one question. However, I think I got those questions right, it's just that my handwriting was quite messy. I also had to use an additional sheet. Will the examiner take time to read my answers, as on the additional sheet there were part of answers I carried out writing on the additional sheet, as there was no room left in the actual exam paper, but I didn't actually write 'look at additional sheet for other part of answer'. The answer looks half complete on the exam answer section. Will they still know that my other answer is on the sheet, do they check?
    It was also quite random, as on the additional sheet, on the first page I wrote my answer to qs 7, but on the 3rd page I wrote my answer to qs 3 (not in chronological order)
    Also is it true that some examiners cannot be bothered reading messy writing/calculations.
    I can't breathe, I'm that stressed out by this.

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo, anybody here...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,jlhhry76o8)
    Hi
    In my maths exam, I was in a hurry due to spending loads of time on one question. However, I think I got those questions right, it's just that my handwriting was quite messy. I also had to use an additional sheet. Will the examiner take time to read my answers, as on the additional sheet there were part of answers I carried out writing on the additional sheet, as there was no room left in the actual exam paper, but I didn't actually write 'look at additional sheet for other part of answer'. The answer looks half complete on the exam answer section. Will they still know that my other answer is on the sheet, do they check?
    It was also quite random, as on the additional sheet, on the first page I wrote my answer to qs 7, but on the 3rd page I wrote my answer to qs 3 (not in chronological order)
    Also is it true that some examiners cannot be bothered reading messy writing/calculations.
    I dunno man. I did the same as you tbf.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    An examiner should try to work out what any additional pages refer to, and do their best to make out your handwriting.

Being honest, there are a couple of caveats to be aware of:

(1) Examiners can make mistakes like anyone else. The harder to follow your working is, or the harder it is to work out "oh, the last half of this question is on a different sheet", the more likely it is that they'll make mistakes in marking.
    (2) I've seen people post workings on here that are frankly illegible. If it's not possible to read what you wrote, all bets are off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    An examiner should try to work out what any additional pages refer to, and do their best to make out your handwriting.

Being honest, there are a couple of caveats to be aware of:

(1) Examiners can make mistakes like anyone else. The harder to follow your working is, or the harder it is to work out "oh, the last half of this question is on a different sheet", the more likely it is that they'll make mistakes in marking.
    (2) I've seen people post workings on here that are frankly illegible. If it's not possible to read what you wrote, all bets are off.
    My writing is definitely legible but a bit messy. The only major concern I had was writing on the different sheet the other half of the answer to the majority of the questions, but didn't make it clear on the actual exam paper to read the rest of the answer.
    Thanks for the reply anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My writing is definitely legible but a bit messy. The only major concern I had was writing on the different sheet the other half of the answer to the majority of the questions, but didn't make it clear on the actual exam paper to read the rest of the answer.
    Thanks for the reply anyway.
    There's nothing to worry about here. The examiner will identify which question you attempted to answer on the extra sheet and electronically link it to the correct place in your script. We are used to reading poor/scrappy handwriting. We teach after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    There's nothing to worry about here. The examiner will identify which question you attempted to answer on the extra sheet and electronically link it to the correct place in your script. We are used to reading poor/scrappy handwriting. We teach after all.
    Thanks for the reassurance.
    Would you be able to make a worked/ model solution, unofficial mark scheme for the AQA Core 1 May 2017 paper?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassurance.
    Would you be able to make a worked/ model solution, unofficial mark scheme for the AQA Core 1 May 2017 paper?
    I don't have access to AQA papers, sorry.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.