Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Regards,

I am a student at a demanding course at a top British Uni.

I have been struggling with depression for many years now, and I am coping with various methods, including pharmacological ones.

I have managed quite fine during the last year or two, and have fairly strong grades (I got a first so far).

However, recently I sat an exam. I got a first in the coursework, but I believe I may have failed the written portion (and hence the entire exam). The reason is quite bizarre: I took some medication before the exam (I have a prescription for it) and I believe I have suffered from collateral effects, which are tiredness, difficulty in concentrating, memory loss, amnesia, impaired cognitive capacities, etc.

I do honestly believe I have suffered from these negatives side effects. I am otherwise a good student, but this has defeated me.

I will talk with the University people about it, but I have no idea how they will react. Even if I pass, this grade will just destroy my average.

Also, my Uni offers no resit until next Spring, so an uncapped resit means I will waste a year, which is not what I want.

I also feel very demotivated for my upcoming exams because of this, and feel very depressed.

Any advice on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Regards,

I have been struggling with depression for many years now, and I am coping with various methods, including pharmacological ones.

I have managed quite fine during the last year or two, and have fairly strong grades (I got a first so far).

However, recently I sat an exam. I got a first in the coursework, but I believe I may have failed the written portion (and hence the entire exam). The reason is quite bizarre: I took some medication before the exam (I have a prescription for it) and I believe I have suffered from collateral effects, which are tiredness, difficulty in concentrating, memory loss, amnesia, impaired cognitive capacities, etc.

I do honestly believe I have suffered from these negatives side effects. I am otherwise a good student, but this has defeated me.

I will talk with the University people about it, but I have no idea how they will react. Even if I pass, this grade will just destroy my average.

Also, my Uni offers no resit until next Spring, so an uncapped resit means I will waste a year, which is not what I want.

I also feel very demotivated for my upcoming exams because of this, and feel very depressed.

Any advice on this?
    I'm sure there must be something your university can do, they might need a doctors note or something along the lines of that just to gather evidence, I've heard of things like these being taken into account when deciding grades and resits etc
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Regards,

Any advice on this?
    Talk to your uni about it. This may be a situation where you can get extenuating circumstances or something. You will probably need some medical evidence (drs note), but you can sort that after you talk to them.
    Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.