Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Seriously on the fence. Desperately need unbiased advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. With what's been going on in politics recently, it's leaving me desperately in need of sound advice as I'm on the fence with who to vote for. I'm a 24 year old father of two who lives in Scotland and works for a minimum wage. In 2014 I voted yes for Scottish independence. Nowadays I have been swayed by fears about immigration, specifically the threat of terrorism and sharia law. I'm talking about the kind of things that Tommy Robinson campaigns for. Aside from that, I feel like the SNP and Labour promise way too much unrealistic things, yet these things seem more favourable to me. Conservatives promise things which to me seem more realistic, but many would tell me that I am shooting my self in the foot by voting for tories as a young, Scottish working class person. I honestly just don't know what to do. All parties have never followed through with ALL of their promises, so what do I do? Is anyone willing to have a discussion with me on this? My twitter username is "zenithkingdom" if you want to talk to me directly. I'd be very welcome to that. Thanks for your time people.

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm pretty much bang in the middle of both parties and like you i need an unbiased summary of both manifestos. I'm eding towards labour at the moment
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As you rightly discuss, no party will ever fulfil everything they say they will in their manifesto pledges. Sometimes they just get ignored, and other times they U-turn.

Whenever one reads manifestos/decides who to vote for if you're unsure, you have to consider the issues that are most important to you. Very few people can say they support every policy their party implements, as even in parties you have internal variance on views.

You have to decide which issues are most important to you, and go from there in deciding which manifesto pledges you prefer, and/or who would be best to implement them. As you say, immigration is important to you, so look towards which party has the most agreeable policy in that. There's probably a few other issues too that you place above others, so follow suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor.ferguson)
    Hi all. With what's been going on in politics recently, it's leaving me desperately in need of sound advice as I'm on the fence with who to vote for. I'm a 24 year old father of two who lives in Scotland and works for a minimum wage. In 2014 I voted yes for Scottish independence. Nowadays I have been swayed by fears about immigration, specifically the threat of terrorism and sharia law. I'm talking about the kind of things that Tommy Robinson campaigns for. Aside from that, I feel like the SNP and Labour promise way too much unrealistic things, yet these things seem more favourable to me. Conservatives promise things which to me seem more realistic, but many would tell me that I am shooting my self in the foot by voting for tories as a young, Scottish working class person. I honestly just don't know what to do. All parties have never followed through with ALL of their promises, so what do I do? Is anyone willing to have a discussion with me on this? My twitter username is "zenithkingdom" if you want to talk to me directly. I'd be very welcome to that. Thanks for your time people.
    The trouble is that these is no one size fits all party. I would traditionally be classed as a Tory voter - white middle class, home owner but I have actually never voted for them. I have always done a protest vote. I want a party that encourages hard work and rewards people no matter how "menial" their job. I want a party that encourages education and taking pride in doing so. I want a party that ensures that all children get decent food and that old people have enough money to live comfortable retirements. I want a party that welcomes people from overseas, but they must bring a skill and learn english ( is that too much to ask)

Labour want to take all my hard earned cash away; the conservatives want to take food from the mouths of chidren and the Lib Dems - well ... seriously. UKIP is dead in the water; the Greens ( whom I will probably protest vote for) are a bit too loony to be considered by anyone. SO who is left - the odd independent MP who will never achieve anything. It is a difficult one

ReputationRep:
    All we can tell you is how we rank the parties in our own individual scales, you need to build your own instead of borrowing somebody else's. i could tell you the ability to keep the economy ticking in terms of activity and job creation is a top priority on my list, that doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

If it really gives you a headache, cast a blank vote. Don't worry about the neighbours, it's more honest than a confused vote.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto snapshots

Quickfire guides on what the main parties are promising

Party Leader quesions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.