Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Redox equation what has gone wrong?

ReputationRep:
    The reduction of chlorate(V) ions, ClO3 - , to chlorine gas, Cl2. I have to construct a half equation for this.
    My answer : 10e- + 2ClO3- + 6H+ --> Cl2 +6OH- I have checked this and the charges do balance..

ANSWER 2ClO3 - + 12H+ + 10e- -> Cl2 + 6H2O

The answer shows water is made but I thought OH- would, am I wrong. But if the charges are balanced then would it be okay? I don't know whether my equation makes sense...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    The reduction of chlorate(V) ions, ClO3 - , to chlorine gas, Cl2. I have to construct a half equation for this.
    My answer : 10e- + 2ClO3- + 6H+ --> Cl2 +6OH- I have checked this and the charges do balance..

The answer shows water is made but I thought OH- would, am I wrong. But if the charges are balanced then would it be okay? I don't know whether my equation makes sense...

Thanks
    Does the question specify that it's being done under acidic conditions? If so, you can't add hydroxide ions as they will neutralise the H+ ions.

Can you put up the Oxidation half equation also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _NMcC_)
    Does the question specify that it's being done under acidic conditions? If so, you can't add hydroxide ions as they will neutralise the H+ ions.
    No, it is just asking to show an equation for it. It is not an exam question. My equation is balanced, so does it matter ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    in acidic conditions hydroxide ions are never on either side of the equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _NMcC_)

Can you put up the Oxidation half equation also?

can't add hydroxide ions as they will neutralise the H+ ions. -> but if you take H2O2 as an example, there are both H+ and OH- in the equation

ReputationRep:
    No, it is just asking to show an equation for it. It is not an exam question. My equation is balanced, so does it matter ?

Thanks
    It's probably not worth many marks anyway but unless it specifies or it's obvious that an alkaline solution is being formed. I usually always balance for acidic conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    in acidic conditions hydroxide ions are never on either side of the equation
    So are you suggesting that if I have H+ on the reactant side, no OH- will be made
    If I have OH- on the reactant side, no H+ is made?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    ASSUMING ACIDIC CONDITIONS
    Start: ClO3- -> Cl2
    1) Balance Cl
    2ClO3- -> Cl2
    2) Balance Oxygen with water
    2ClO3- -> Cl2 + 6H20
    3) Balance Hydrogen with H+
    12H+ + 2ClO3- -> Cl2 + 6H20
    4) Balance charge with electrons
    10e- + 12H+ + 2ClO3- -> Cl2 + 6H20, as given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishtf2)
    ASSUMING ACIDIC CONDITIONS
    Start: ClO3- -> Cl2
    1) Balance Cl
    2ClO3- -> Cl2
    2) Balance Oxygen with water
    2ClO3- -> Cl2 + 6H20
    3) Balance Hydrogen with H+
    12H+ + 2ClO3- -> Cl2 + 6H20
    4) Balance charge with electrons
    10e- + 12H+ + 2ClO3- -> Cl2 + 6H20, as given.
    How can you predict H2O is formed, I balanced my equation using OH- ions and the charges do balance too

ReputationRep:
    can't add hydroxide ions as they will neutralise the H+ ions. -> but if you take H2O2 as an example, there are both H+ and OH- in the equation
    Look at the example on this page by Jim Clark, you can balance redox half equations involving H202 using H20 and H+ ions.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic...equations.html

ReputationRep:
    How can you predict H2O is formed, I balanced my equation using OH- ions and the charges do balance too
    By assuming acidic conditions, i.e. presence of H+ [as you see on the LHS], OH- are neutralised by the H+, making water.

ReputationRep:
    So are you suggesting that if I have H+ on the reactant side, no OH- will be made
    If I have OH- on the reactant side, no H+ is made?

Thanks
    Yes, under alkaline conditions, OH- is involved - balance with H20
    Under acidic consitions, H+ is involved - balance with H20

H+ and OH- are never usually used to balance each other in redox equations.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, I get it now

ReputationRep:
    No problem, glad to help.

ReputationRep:
    np, just practice and you'l be fine.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.