Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Maths C3 - Harmonic Identities - Finding Max and Min Values... HELP???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Seems right.
    Sorry I know you're against the use of quadrant diagrams but I seem to make less mistakes this way even though it takes a little longer. The good thing is I think I'm starting to understand Harmonic Identity questions involving Min or Max values

ReputationRep:
    Just want to thank you guys (Kevin De Bruyne, notnek and RDKGames) for helping me out and being patient with me with a topic that I always seemed to struggle with! Hopefully it makes more sense to me from now on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    So do you now know where \sin(3\theta-1.1071...)=0 comes from? I'm asking because this hasn't been explained to you since you said that you don't know where it comes from.
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Just want to thank you guys (Kevin De Bruyne, notnek and RDKGames) for helping me out and being patient with me with a topic that I always seemed to struggle with! Hopefully it makes more sense to me from now on.
    Just gonna say it in case he doesn't...

Your expression is H(\theta)=4+5(\sqrt{20}\sin(3 \theta +\alpha))^2=4+100\sin^2(3 \theta+ \alpha)

To minimise H, you need to minimise \sin^2(3\theta+\alpha). Clearly the minimum value of this is 0, and it is achieved when \sin(3\theta+\alpha)=0 (because if it were equal anything other than 0, the square of it would not be 0)

ReputationRep:
    Just gonna say it in case he doesn't...

Your expression is H(\theta)=4+5(\sqrt{20}\sin(3 \theta +\alpha))^2=4+100\sin^2(3 \theta+ \alpha)

To minimise H, you need to minimise \sin^2(3\theta+\alpha). Clearly the minimum value of this is 0, and it is achieved when \sin(3\theta+\alpha)=0 (because if it were equal anything other than 0, the square of it would not be 0)
    Yeah so the expression is...
    H(\theta)=4+5[\sqrt{20}\sin(3 \theta +1.10714...)]^2

And to find it's minimum value we let the  sin(3 \theta - 1.10714...) = 0 because we want it to give the smallest possible value for this minimum, thus giving...
     H(\theta) = 4+5 [\sqrt{20} (0) ]^2 = 4

Right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so the expression is...
    H(\theta)=4+5[\sqrt{20}\sin(3 \theta +\alpha)]^2

And to find it's minimum value we let the  sin(3 \theta - 1.10714...) = 0 because we want it to give the smallest possible value for this minimum, thus giving...
     H(\theta) = 4+5 [\sqrt{20} (0) ]^2 = 4

Right?
    You're not wrong, but I don't like the way your argument goes from \sin to \sin^2, rather than the other way round.

The minimum value of \sin is clearly -1 when minimised but that would mean \sin^2 is 1.

But if you start your argument by minimising \sin^2, so it is 0, then \sin is 0.

ReputationRep:
    You're not wrong, but I don't like the way your argument goes from \sin to \sin^2, rather than the other way round.

The minimum value of \sin is clearly -1 when minimised but that would mean \sin^2 is 1.

But if you start your argument by minimising \sin^2, so it is 0, then \sin is 0.
    Oh I see, so it's better to expand the bracket first so...

Becomes...
    H(\theta)=4+100sin^2(3 \theta +1.10714...)

H(\theta)=4+100sin(3 \theta +1.10714...)^2

So for the minimum value  sin(3 \theta + 1.10714...) = 0

Therefore min value of  H(\theta) = 4 + 100(0)^2 = 4

Is that the way I should do it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see, so it's better to expand the bracket first so...

Becomes...
    H(\theta)=4+100sin^2(3 \theta +1.10714...)

Therefore min value of  H(\theta) = 4 + 100(0)^2 = 4

Is that the way I should do it?
    I guess, there's nothing wrong with it... but again, you go from \sin to \sin^2 when it makes more sense to do it the other way around since H(\theta) is dependent on \sin^2, so you want THIS minimised which means \sin^2 =0 and this IMPLIES \sin =0

Maybe I'm just being pedantic here and I doubt you would lose ANY marks for this, but to minimise H you should notice that first saying "min of \sin" then going onto "min of \sin^2" doesn't flow very nicely because the min of \sin is -1 (not 0 as you claim) and this value does NOT minimise H. Whereas if you went from saying first "min of \sin^2" (which is 0 and minimised H first of all) IMPLIES "min of \sin" (which is also 0 as a result) then it makes sense. It's more logical this way.

All in all, this bit just lacks argument as to WHY \sin(3 \theta + 1.10714...) is picked as 0 and not its minimum which would be -1.

ReputationRep:
    Philip-flop Just adding to what RDKGames said here:
    All in all, this bit just lacks argument as to WHY \sin(3 \theta + 1.10714...) is picked as 0 and not its minimum which would be -1.
    A large percentage of students would think that \sin(3 \theta + 1.10714...) should be -1 to have a minimum because this is what they're used to in most exam questions. It's important that you understand why in this case it should be 0.

ReputationRep:
    I guess, there's nothing wrong with it... but again, you go from \sin to \sin^2 when it makes more sense to do it the other way around since H(\theta) is dependent on \sin^2, so you want THIS minimised which means \sin^2 =0 and this IMPLIES \sin =0

Maybe I'm just being pedantic here and I doubt you would lose ANY marks for this, but to minimise H you should notice that first saying "min of \sin" then going onto "min of \sin^2" doesn't flow very nicely because the min of \sin is -1 (not 0 as you claim) and this value does NOT minimise H. Whereas if you went from saying first "min of \sin^2" (which is 0 and minimised H first of all) IMPLIES "min of \sin" (which is also 0 as a result) then it makes sense. It's more logical this way.

I don't think I completely follow I don't even know what the minimum of  sin^2 is

All I can see is that it has to be  sin(3 \theta - 1.10714...) = 0 since if it is -1 we would get  H(\theta) = 4+100(-1)^2 = 104 which is a bigger number than if we have it as 0, therefore  H(\theta) = 4 + 100(0)^2 = 4 which is the smallest possible value we can make for the minimum.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I completely follow I don't even know what the minimum of  sin^2 is
    You REALLY need to know that the square of anything that can be 0, IS 0...

ReputationRep:

All I can see is that it has to be  sin(3 \theta - 1.10714...) = 0 since if it is -1 we would get  H(\theta) = 4+100(-1)^2 = 104 which is a bigger number than if we have it as 0, therefore  H(\theta) = 4 + 100(0)^2 = 4 which is the smallest possible value we can make for the minimum.
    To me this looks like you understand.

\sin^2 x = (\sin x)^2

The minimum of \sin x is -1 but the minimum of (\sin x)^2 is 0 for the reasons you say above.

In this case you have  sin(3 \theta - 1.10714...)^2 and the minmum of this will be the same as the minimum of (\sin x)^2.

ReputationRep:
    Philip-flop Just adding to what RDKGames said here:

A large percentage of students would think that \sin(3 \theta + 1.10714...) should be -1 to have a minimum because this is what they're used to in most exam questions. It's important that you understand why in this case it should be 0.
    I think that's why I would normally slip up on these!

You REALLY need to know that the square of anything that can be 0, IS 0...
    Yeah I know that  (0)^2 always gives zero but I've never really thought about actually relating that fact to graphs. But I understand why a parabola like  y = x^2 has a minimum point at  (0, 0)

ReputationRep:
    To me this looks like you understand.

\sin^2 x = (\sin x)^2

The minimum of \sin x is -1 but the minimum of (\sin x)^2 is 0 for the reasons you say above.

In this case you have  sin(3 \theta - 1.10714...)^2 and the minmum of this will be the same as the minimum of (\sin x)^2.
    Yeah that's the way I saw it. But like RDKGames is saying I probably should have known that a graph like  y = sin^2 x has a minimum value of zero so  sin^2 x = 0 due to the outputs when squaring numbers. It's almost like comparing it to  y = x^2

But I feel like I will slip up more say if I was to adopt this approach to a fractional type Harmonic Identities question

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I've never come across a question like this before.
    Name:  OCR C3 June 2012 Q8.png
Views: 1
Size:  32.7 KB

Part(c) I actually had no idea what to do, thank god for exam solutions though! Hopefully I'll be prepared if a similar question appears in the Edexcel C3 paper this summer!

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.