Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being used? Watch

Announcements

Describing my situation as briefly as possible...

During my gap year (2014), I worked at a clinic as a HCA/phlebotomist for about 8 months so I got to know all the staff pretty well, albeit had few interactions with the the doctors. My baby face and naivety meant that all the staff gave me special treatment and the nurses looked out for me, which was nice.

I returned to the clinic last summer (2016) since the clinic was lacking staff and also, needed to earn money so it was nice to be back with a more mature mindset and appearance. One doctor (53 years), whom I'd known 2 years ago, started showing particular interest in me and slowly it went from fine dining to a sexual relationship (I lost my virginity to him). Since returning to third year of university, he visits me every 2 weeks from my home city (3 hour train journey) and I always prepare home-cooked food and we have sex too. He brings me a gift every time.

Sometimes I wonder if he's using me for sex - Do you think this is the case? I want to break it off but finding it difficult because he showers me with affection and gifts and tells me he'd help me with finding jobs after graduating this year at university. I'd feel like it'd be an insult to say no.

Sometimes I feel like I love him because of all the favours he does for me but I feel disgusted about our 32 year age gap and the fact that he's older than my own father by 12 years. I wish I wasn't in this position...

How would you handle this?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest this is all down to what your impression of him is. We don't know who he is, how he treats you, what kind of body language he gives off etc. Maybe take it slow, is my best answer, tell him you need space and maybe have sex with him less often? See if his demeanor changes and go from there.

(Original post by GUMI)
    To be honest this is all down to what your impression of him is. We don't know who he is, how he treats you, what kind of body language he gives off etc. Maybe take it slow, is my best answer, tell him you need space and maybe have sex with him less often? See if his demeanor changes and go from there.
    Thank you for your response. I am going to do that over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    If he's not married and he's genuinely affectionate and loving towards you I don't see any problem with this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.