Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    long story short - i've always dreamed about getting accepted by the MSc in International relations at lse.. I'd be an international applicant and currently study at the University of Toronto - (arguably) the toughest school in Canada, where I'm doing a BA in IR. My GPA is a 3.6, which is above min requirements for Canadians (3.3). also if i keep up my grades, i'll graduate with high distinction (basically very few people at u of t get a 3.3, let alone 3.5+, which is roughly top 10-15 percent of all students and is considered equivalent to a very strong 2.1). i also did a year out at UCL, got firsts in my two IR modules and high 2:1's for most of my other classes (with the exception of one module, where i got a 2:2 due to medical issues)

other than that, i have some work experience - i.e. i worked for the government, was a research assistant for an IR prof, and hope to get another internship soon. i also have stelllar extra-curricular activities - i help run an IR under grad journal, am involved with the course union at an executive level, etc.

For those of you who dealt with the LSE application process (or i guess grad applications at top UK unis generally) I just had a few questions based on the info i gave:

1) in the CVs you submitted to schools, did you exclude non-work experience (i.e. extra-curriculars)? I've noticed LSE stresses mentioning work experience if you have any, but I'm also particularly of my involvement at uni mentioned above and it'd be a shame if i couldn't mention it as well

2) how much does work experience really matter, especially at lse? i know i have some work experience, but i know other applicants will probably have a lot more and i worry i'm at a disadvantage

3) does LSE factor in your undergraduate institution at all during admission cycles? as i mentioned, my school is known for extremely tough marking
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifijohannes)
    Your record is impressive...well done! With this sort of masters people will come in from a load of different backgrounds including straight from undergrad so as long as you meet the entry requirements you should be fine. There will be specific ones for Canada so check rather than trying to convert your grades yourself. Unis are only interested in work experience that's relevant to your course but if you gained relevant transferable skills from the work experience then it's a good idea to include it. UK unis typically ask for a personal statement so check if they want a CV as well or just a personal statement or what. Finally as I said before people will come in from a range of backgrounds and your marks won't necessarily make you a suitable candidate or not for a place on the course so unis will most likely look at the whole package rather than just which uni you studied at.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.