Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Should I go to the GP?

So I started becoming ill on 1st May and had fever until 3rd May and I went to the GP on 4th May. I was told all the symptoms I had were because of the vital fever and was told to take paracetamol for my temperature.
    My fever got better but when I had the fever my throat was also hurting and until now my throat is still hurting. I wake up in the morning and my throat hurts a lot but during the day it's ok, it doesn't hurt. But when I yawn it hurts. I still have a cough probably to do with the throat hurting? I know I shouldn't use Google but when I searched my symptoms it came up with throat cancer... I know this might not be possible because I'm just ill. But what do you think?

Also, when I stretch backwards my chest hurts in the middle and sometimes I just get random pains on the left side of my chest.

Please advise me on what to do. Should I go to the GP? Would they check my heart by doing an ECG?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I started becoming ill on 1st May and had fever until 3rd May and I went to the GP on 4th May. I was told all the symptoms I had were because of the vital fever and was told to take paracetamol for my temperature.
    My fever got better but when I had the fever my throat was also hurting and until now my throat is still hurting. I wake up in the morning and my throat hurts a lot but during the day it's ok, it doesn't hurt. But when I yawn it hurts. I still have a cough probably to do with the throat hurting? I know I shouldn't use Google but when I searched my symptoms it came up with throat cancer... I know this might not be possible because I'm just ill. But what do you think?

Also, when I stretch backwards my chest hurts in the middle and sometimes I just get random pains on the left side of my chest.

Please advise me on what to do. Should I go to the GP? Would they check my heart by doing an ECG?
    I would go. Just to be on the safe side. But i wouldn't go far an emergency appointment. I think you may be able to wait...

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor, I know it can be tough to be taken seriously sometimes but if you say you aren't feeling like you are getting better.

It is probably just an infection, in which case you'll need antibiotics, so don't get too worried. But still get checked out to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:

Go and see your GP - even if just for peace of mind.

ReputationRep:

It just sounds like a lingering virus or infection. You have just been ill, this happens. I'm not a doctor, but I'm sure you haven't suddenly developed throat cancer. Really, don't google it. Any symptom of anything could come up as cancer on the internet. It's such a slim possibility. The chances of your GP ordering an ECG for a sore throat and cough are incredibly slim. Your chest hurting is likely to do with the coughing. A GP appointment is perfectly valid in this case, though I wouldn't go for an emergency one going by your description of things. If you're unsure whether you need to be seen more urgently, call 111 and they can advise

ReputationRep:

Hope things are going a bit better for you now.
    I very much doubt that it is anything as serious as cancer. The internet will always show the most scary things first because it's the thing people are most worried about so will have the most views. It's also a more important thing to spread awareness about.

Sounds to me like whatever virus or infection you had is causing more trouble. It may be that you are just sore and run down from being unwell (especially if you've been coughing) or it may be something like a chest infection.

If your surgery does phone appointments on the day i'd call up and ask for one. Otherwise i'd suggest a walk-in clinic or maybe an urgent appointment. It's not an emergency or anything, but it's something that may get worse over the time it takes to get a normal appt so you could probably do with being checked rather soon. You could also call 111 or ask a pharmacist for advice.

Hope that helps and that you feel better soon

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 21, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.