Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Camembert baked in the box - have you done/eaten it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about this today...

Having looked on the net, not sure which would be better...

1. Sprinkled with chilli flakes, salt and pepper with a drizzle of olive oil before baking or...

2. Make little incisions with a knife and insert some garlic and rosemary, topped with a drizzle of olive oil before baking...

Also, I'm not sure if it would be better with an Italian ciabatta or a French baguette...

And, toasted or plain - phew, it's turning into a big 'mass debate' deal (in my head) now...

Any feedback on your experiences/thoughts appreciated - thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Drez999)
    Difficult! I feel your pain. I'd go with the first as I feel the garlic and rosemary may overpower the camberbert or generally make the whole thing too strong. And definitely toasted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Difficult! I feel your pain. I'd go with the first as I feel the garlic and rosemary may overpower the camberbert or generally make the whole thing too strong. And definitely toasted!
    Hmm, therein lies my problem - I am a garlic lover! (Single guy)

If the garlic was cut into thin slivers do you think it would detract from the taste of the cheese?

Thanks for your input
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hmm, therein lies my problem - I am a garlic lover! (Single guy)

If the garlic was cut into thin slivers do you think it would detract from the taste of the cheese?

Thanks for your input
    I think it depends on how much garlic you put in there rather than how big the slivers are as the garlic will hopefully permeate the cheese either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I think it depends on how much garlic you put in there rather than how big the slivers are as the garlic will hopefully permeate the cheese either way.
    QED

ReputationRep:
    Don't soil the perfect cheese with your unnatural additions.

A simple fresh baguette will do.

ReputationRep:
    First one sounds good. Although i found camembert a bit sickly and stinky

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ooh, with chilli flakes! I wouldn't add the salt and pepper though. Not a fan of salt myself, and the cheese doesn't need over-flavouring. Definitely want to try this though

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about this today...

Having looked on the net, not sure which would be better...

1. Sprinkled with chilli flakes, salt and pepper with a drizzle of olive oil before baking or...

2. Make little incisions with a knife and insert some garlic and rosemary, topped with a drizzle of olive oil before baking...

Also, I'm not sure if it would be better with an Italian ciabatta or a French baguette...

And, toasted or plain - phew, it's turning into a big 'mass debate' deal (in my head) now...

Any feedback on your experiences/thoughts appreciated - thanks
    I think if you get a good quality camembert, rather than a supermarket quality one, you should just let the cheese speak for itself. Ciabatta would be totally wrong - a crusty baguette would be perfect. A good sparkling normandy cider or, even better, champagne is a perfect accompaniment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think if you get a good quality camembert, rather than a supermarket quality one, you should just let the cheese speak for itself. Ciabatta would be totally wrong - a crusty baguette would be perfect. A good sparkling normandy cider or, even better, champagne is a perfect accompaniment.
    Champagne? That's both a little out of my league and budget!

I am more likely to have a cloudy farm-produced scrumpy cider

ReputationRep:

Then treat yourself to some Old Rosie.

ReputationRep:

A cider will work just fine then (save the fizz for a special lunch). A good quality box-baked camembert, some good normandy cider (I sure Old Rosie would work as well) and crusty baguette is a great pleasure. Very simple, very elegant, not remotely fussy or elaborate and a great example of the harmony of terroir. I think I might have this for supper tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    even better, champagne is a perfect accompaniment.
    Out of interest, what champagne would you go for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    Out of interest, what champagne would you go for?
    I think something a little bit 'biscuity' and certainly full. Maybe a NV Bollinger, or Billecart-Salmon. Possibly even a bog standard glass of the Widow.

ReputationRep:
    A cider will work just fine then (save the fizz for a special lunch). A good quality box-baked camembert, some good normandy cider (I sure Old Rosie would work as well) and crusty baguette is a great pleasure. Very simple, very elegant, not remotely fussy or elaborate and a great example of the harmony of terroir. I think I might have this for supper tomorrow.
    Hmm, now I am getting excited...

If you do have it tomorrow please update on here as to the enjoyable rating and a picture if possible

ReputationRep:
    Hmm why do you think ciabatta is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, now I am getting excited...

If you do have it tomorrow please update on here as to the enjoyable rating and a picture if possible
    Yes, of course! This will be dependent on my finding a decent cheese to bake of course so maybe I'll have a little look in our local fromagerie or, failing that, Paxton and Whitfield.

ReputationRep:
    I think something a little bit 'biscuity' and certainly full. Maybe a NV Bollinger, or Billecart-Salmon. Possibly even a bog standard glass of the Widow.
    You are a classy gentleman with quite the booze budget :hat:

I want to come to your parties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    You are a classy gentleman with quite the booze budget :hat:

I want to come to your parties
    They start elegantly and end debaucherously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Hmm why do you think ciabatta is wrong?
    1. Texture. The soft, airy texture of a good ciabatta just doesn't work with the melting texture of a baked camembert. There isn't enough contrast - hence why I think you need the sharp, crustiness of a fresh baguette.

2. Ciabatta has far too much of a pronounced olive oil taste (or at least it should have) which jars with the camembert flavour and detracts from it. The baguette is neutral by comparison.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.