Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Let him down nicely... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last night a guy that I like asked me out. Thing is although I really like him I don't feel I know him enough to date him. I told him I would think about it as at the time I wasn't sure as to whether or not I should say yes. I've decided to say no but an unsure as to how to say it without hurting him..
    He is a nice guy but I can't date him. I know that when I say no he is going to be hurt and I don't want that! Please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bham369)
    Last night a guy that I like asked me out. Thing is although I really like him I don't feel I know him enough to date him. I told him I would think about it as at the time I wasn't sure as to whether or not I should say yes. I've decided to say no but an unsure as to how to say it without hurting him..
    He is a nice guy but I can't date him. I know that when I say no he is going to be hurt and I don't want that! Please help!
    He should respect your decision. Make sure you say it nicely and explain why etc... Explain that you do not mean to hurt him but this is the best decision for you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you can't date him, you can't date him. There's no need for an ambiguous response that will lead to him asking a third time. Just say you're not looking to date anyone right now. Rejection hurts but that's part of life, he'll get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    If you can't date him, you can't date him. There's no need for an ambiguous response that will lead to him asking a third time. Just say you're not looking to date anyone right now. Rejection hurts but that's part of life, he'll get over it.
    Exemplary advice.

ReputationRep:
    Obv your choice but I don't see why you can't date him if you like him? If you don't feel you know him well enough, well why do you like him at all if you don't want to know him better?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused - surely, if you like him, get to know him better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StriderHort)
    Obv your choice but I don't see why you can't date him if you like him? If you don't feel you know him well enough, well why do you like him at all if you don't want to know him better?
    I want to get to know him more before I date him. I fancy him because he is a nice, genuine guy and he really knows how to make me smile. But I haven't known him for too long and I just feel that I should get to know him a bit more before I can call him my bf.

Spoiler:
    Show

Also I fear this may be a bit of a teenage crush. Thing is I have been speaking to someone else. I like him an awful lot more but he doesn't like me. So I have been trying to move on...

If I did date him it would imply that I only have feelings for him. That isn't true. I would be lying to him and quite possibly myself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    That is the plan. But I don't want to date him yet...

ReputationRep:
    I want to get to know him more before I date him. I fancy him because he is a nice, genuine guy and he really knows how to make me smile. But I haven't known him for too long and I just feel that I should get to know him a bit more before I can call him my bf.

Spoiler:
    Show

Also I fear this may be a bit of a teenage crush. Thing is I have been speaking to someone else. I like him an awful lot more but he doesn't like me. So I have been trying to move on...

Awwwww I am sorry to hear that, maybe you should give this guy who clearly wants to go out with you a chance? See how things go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adorable16)
    Awwwww I am sorry to hear that, maybe you should give this guy who clearly wants to go out with you a chance? See how things go?
    Thing is he isn't the only person I have feelings for. If I did date him I would be lying to him and myself...

ReputationRep:
    Thing is he isn't the only person I have feelings for. If I did date him I would be lying to him and myself...
    I see your point.
    You having feelings for a few people is normal, but you need to at least give him a chance.I think anyway
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can like someone in a strictly platonic way. There's nothing wrong with telling someone you have no more feelings for them than as friends.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is although I really like him I don't feel I know him enough to date him.
    That's just silly, surely if you like someone enough then you do everything you can to get to know them better. So, obviously you don't like him As for the hurt? There's no need to feel guilty, he's a guy so he'll have to learn to cope with rejection at some point in his life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adorable16)
    I see your point.
    You having feelings for a few people is normal, but you need to at least give him a chance.I think anyway
    But would I not be lying to him? I don't want to do that!
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

If I did date him it would imply that I only have feelings for him. That isn't true. I would be lying to him and quite possibly myself...

If you like him but you're not ready yet, tell him that. Say you want to go on a couple dates to get to know him a bit better before you commit, it's always worth a try. But if you honestly don't see yourself ever wanting to get in a relationship with him, that is completely fine and you don't have to. Just be honest with him. The fact that you're worrying about this shows that you're a good person so probably feel a bit bad about hurting his feelings, but ultimately, you have to do what's best for you and what makes you happy. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    But would I not be lying to him? I don't want to do that!
    Maybe you should tell him the situation you are in?
    So he understands and maybe it can be more of a hangout then a date?
    And when you are satisfied you can discus further relationship aspects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    That's just silly, surely if you like someone enough then you do everything you can to get to know them better. So, obviously you don't like him As for the hurt? There's no need to feel guilty, he's a guy so he'll have to learn to cope with rejection at some point in his life.
    I am trying to get to know him better. Like I have said before I fear it may just be a crush and nothing serious.

As for rejecting him. I know that he will have to get used to it but I'm not sure what to tell him...

ReputationRep:
    You can't go out with him, but you love him in a sisterly way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    You can't go out with him, but you love him in a sisterly way?
    No. I have a crush on him. I like him as more than friends...

ReputationRep:
    It's nice that you've thought it through instead of saying no outright. Just let him know you're not looking for a relationship and you're not ready for one in your life just now. Maybe over time you might grow to like him more and change your mind, here's hoping he still likes you by then and the tables don't turn haha

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.