Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Questions about PhD studentships

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered and subsequently accepted a fully funded PhD studentship and have some questions about the finer details.

1) Is there any sort of formal contract or documentation to sign/receive? I've communicated my acceptance of the studentship offer to the relevant university department. Is this all that is typically required?

2) I have been informed that the stipend I will be receiving will be distributed to me in intervals over the course of the year. Is this how it is typically done? Or do some universities give you a lump sum at the start of the academic year?

3) Do I still keep my student status i.e. I am still exempt from paying things such as council tax?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasedtobeatyou)
    I've been offered and subsequently accepted a fully funded PhD studentship and have some questions about the finer details.

1) Is there any sort of formal contract or documentation to sign/receive? I've communicated my acceptance of the studentship offer to the relevant university department. Is this all that is typically required?

2) I have been informed that the stipend I will be receiving will be distributed to me in intervals over the course of the year. Is this how it is typically done? Or do some universities give you a lump sum at the start of the academic year?

3) Do I still keep my student status i.e. I am still exempt from paying things such as council tax?

Thanks
    I'm in the same position and would like to know more about the first two answers. As I understand, though, they will depend on who is funding you - research council, uni/dept or other body?

There will typically be a more in-depth contract to sign with lots of conditions and bells-and-whistles - for instance, university funding may well require you to teach a minimum number of hours a year (should be paid).

As far as I am aware the stipend is normally paid in chunks, maybe 3/4 times a year? Haven't heard of a lump sum at the start, that'd be a bit weird.

You'll definitely still be a student though - so exempt from council tax, eligible for a 16-25 railcard regardless of age, all the good stuff. Stipends don't count as 'income' either for tax purposes or anything else, so you will be eligible for student/unwaged subs to professional bodies, unions, etc.

Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomv46)
    I'm in the same position and would like to know more about the first two answers. As I understand, though, they will depend on who is funding you - research council, uni/dept or other body?

There will typically be a more in-depth contract to sign with lots of conditions and bells-and-whistles - for instance, university funding may well require you to teach a minimum number of hours a year (should be paid).

As far as I am aware the stipend is normally paid in chunks, maybe 3/4 times a year? Haven't heard of a lump sum at the start, that'd be a bit weird.

You'll definitely still be a student though - so exempt from council tax, eligible for a 16-25 railcard regardless of age, all the good stuff. Stipends don't count as 'income' either for tax purposes or anything else, so you will be eligible for student/unwaged subs to professional bodies, unions, etc.

Well done!
    Congratulations on your funding too.

Yeah I'm guessing that everything will become a lot more formalised once offer conditions are met e.g. 2:1 degree classification.

I've been told that my stipend is going to be paid quarterly, which is weird as if you get a real job then you get paid monthly. No I wasn't expecting a lump sum payment but who knows with academia (no experience with the protocol), although it would make for a good investment opportunity...

ReputationRep:
    Hi both,

Congratulations on both of your offers. I have recently accepted mine and can't wait!

To answer the above (apologies for any repetition);

You are entitled (as my esteemed peer as mentioned) to any and all benefits of being a student such as no council tax, free mcdonalds mcflurry (the important things of course).

I responded to my offer letter too, they sent some forms through on email to collect bank details for the stipend payment and that was about it

As for payments, it must vary by institution. I know that mine is paid in monthly increments (it is funded by the university rather than a council so I don't know if that makes a difference, but a friend of mine is funded by a council and he is monthly too).

What subjects have you both chosen and where?

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    I might add that you still need to enrol closer to the time (obviously?)

ReputationRep:
    Another question.

I'm receiving my stipend from RCUK and they have a National Minimum Doctoral Stipend. If this goes up (as it has this year), will my stipend also increase, or will it remain at the level it was on my year of entry?

http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/media/news/160125/
    http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/media/news/170104/

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the funder but at the very least you will need to provide bank details. At my uni we recieved a cheque for the first installment and then they set up direct payments into our bank account. I had to sign a bunch of stuff at my orientation but I never recieved anything like a formal contract just an acceptance letter.

My stiped is paid at 3-monthly intervals.

You are student and should get a student card (though it will say PG on it or some such to indicate you're a postgrad). I enjoy super cheap cinema tickets and less council tax

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.