Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Edexcel Maths FP1 UNOFFICIAL Mark Scheme 19th May 2017 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arniethepie)
    For the record, I noticed on an IAL paper that if you don't use the geometric progression formula from C2, you immediately lose 2 marks, they didn't accept simply plugging in numbers from 1 to 12
    Thanks I'll bear that in mind. Although it doesn't bode well for me.
    (Original post by X_IDE_sidf)
    These are my answers, looking for mild confirmation, here also are the marks:

1) This was a newton r f(x)=\frac{1}{3}x^2+\frac{4}{x^2  }-2x-1

a) Prove root [6,7] Change of sign (2 marks)
    b) Find first newton approx starting at 6 to 2dp , 6.45 (5 marks)

2) some matrix question:
    A=\begin{bmatrix} 2 & -1 \\ 4 & 3 \end{bmatrix}
    (a) A^{-1} = \frac{1}{10}\begin{bmatrix} 3 & 1 \\ -4 & 2 \end{bmatrix} (2 marks)

P=\begin{bmatrix} 3 & 6 \\ 11 & -8 \end{bmatrix}

(b) Given AB=P find B B = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ 1 & -4 \end{bmatrix} (3 marks)

3)
    x=4t , x=\frac{4}{t}
    a) Find a line perpendicular to line between points t=\frac{1}{4} and t=2 that goes through origin. Ans: y=\frac{1}{2}x (3 marks)
    b) cart equation y=\frac{16}{x}

c) Points of intersection (4\sqrt{2},2\sqrt{2}) and (-4\sqrt{2},-2\sqrt{2}) (3 marks)

4) Complex Numbers, horra.
    i) w=\frac{p-4i}{2-3i}
    a) a+bi form : \frac{2p+12}{13}+\frac{3p-8}{13}i (3 marks)
    arg(w) = \frac{\pi}{4}
    b) p=20 (2 marks)
    ii) z=(1-\lambda i)(4+3i) , \mid z \mid = 45

\lambda = \pm 4\sqrt{5} (2 marks)

5) i)
    A= \begin{bmatrix} p & 2 \\ 3 & p \end{bmatrix} , B= \begin{bmatrix} -5 & 4 \\ 6 & -5 \end{bmatrix}
    (a) Find AB (2)
    AB + 2A = kI
    find k and p
    (b) p=\frac{3}{2} , k = \frac{15}{2}

ii) I forget what the question was but a=\frac{9}{2} and \frac{-27}{2}(5 marks)

6 (a) -2-3i (1)
    (x-4)(x+2-3i)(x+2+3i)
    (b) a=2 b=-11 (5 marks)
    7 (a) (4 marks)
    (b) (4 marks)
    (c)  \frac{15}{16}a^2 (2 marks)

8) Proof involving sums:
    (a) (5 marks)
    (b) \frac{2}{9} (4 marks)

9) two proofs questions, each worth 6 marks

Thanks To:
    - @k.russell for 5 ii second answer
    - @DystopiaisReal for 5 a, I put down the wrong sign
    Thanks for this. I'll use your notation for my solutions on the first page.

(Original post by Faznaz55)
    The determinant was 10??? Oh ffs
    :yep: I believe so unless somebody else has a different answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apachai Hopachai)
    Yeah, I've forgotten all the questions already lol.

This still could be wrong though, I don't know, if that little fact holds for non-linear transformations...
    My teacher mentioned something about a negative determinant meaning that the matrix was reflected through the origin, I'm not too sure though really. All I know about matrices and linear algebra comes from fp1 (so it ain't much)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinnier)
    I got k as 3.4892635x10^-14 or something like that!?? help
    That would be, in a word, incorrect.
    (Original post by OllieeTownsend)
    Can you remember what the actual question was, I've forgotten what part ii was?
    Erm. No.:erm: I'll let you know when Edexcel upload the paper tomorrow. Please remind me though (tag me in this thread).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaedra)
    What do you think grade boundaries for 90% will be?
    (Original post by Mario Manalu)
    If I did not get number 7 and number 6 totally right, would it be A still? I am sure I got the other right.
    I will be calculating approximate grade boundaries over the weekend. This is not the hardest paper by a good few yards, but it's a furlong away from the easiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Question 5 Matrices
    i.) a.) ((12-5p) (4p-10))
    ..........((6p-15) (12-5p)) [2]
    b.) p=1.5, k=7.5 [4]
    ii.) a=4.5 [5]
    b.)
    ii.) a=4.5 or -27/4 there were multiple solutions
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 20XX Fox)
    Bump
    Please explain.
    (Original post by X_IDE_sidf)
    My guess, above 90, probably 95/96
    2015 paper gave 99. I will be calculating approximate conversions over the weekend.
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    I'm an idiot :banghead: somehow simplified the k thing wrong so I ended up with 909/4094 instead of 910/4095 :grumble:
    Ouch.
    (Original post by BainesyA)
    What was the mark breakdown for each question?
    See my posts on the first page.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinhood111)
    someone post the actual paper pls
    Not allowed on TSR. I can PM you to tell you how you can access it if you would like?
    (Original post by Vzheng)
    When will the paper be released?
    Tomorrow.
    (Original post by Hasad)
    Ahh i got confused and put xy = 4, would i lose the 4 marks?
    Not all of them. You will likely get about 2 in part c. These being method marks or a B1 for something.

(Original post by TareqLebz)
    do you know how many marks each part of q7 is?
    Have edited now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurred)
    Did u have to use a formula to work out the sum of 2^r-1 or is it fine if I just wrote the answer
    I did same. See below.
    (Original post by Apachai Hopachai)
    You mean the sum formula?

Did you go through the tedious workings of (1 + 2 + 4 + ...) ?

If you did, you will get the marks
    :nah: Not necessarily they've never put a geometric in there before and on the IAL paper that they did, using the numerical sum instead of Geo. formula =/= full marks. We shall wait.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murat10q7)
    was there a question on argand diagram?
    :nah: Second time ever.
    (Original post by blurred)
    Even if your proof isn't on the mark scheme,will you get full credit? I multiplied f(k) by 27 instead but still proved it
    There will be 3 or 4 awardable methods. This doesn't sound like one. Please elaborate.
    (Original post by Berny1998)
    How many marks was part 2 and 3 for question 7. I forgot to work out p so found everything out in terms of a and p, how many marks will I loose? Thanks
    Have edited now.
    (Original post by Yolo246)
    Can someone please explain why for 6b it wasn't 2.5. My thought process was 4p-10=0 so p=2.5? why is this wrong?
    4p-10 doesn't sound right to me. But I don't know without looking.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fx991esplus)
    thanks for the help yesterday bro, I reckon i got maybe 5 or so marks thanks to you!
    That's ok. Lesson for all maths exams: do all the papers, mark them all yourself.
    (Original post by fx991esplus)
    What will the grade boundaries be?
    I will calculate approximates over the weekend.
    (Original post by beccabokka)
    Ahh please when you have it will you put up a mark scheme with reference to the original questions! I don't see how people can possibly memorise all this!
    I'll do what I can but be wary that if I go too detailed that's against TSR rules. I can only speculate what might be how it is awarded.
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Just to let you all know that I have merged another thread with an identical title with this one. The other thread had posts from about 2 hours ago, so you might want to re-check previous posts to see if there's any new information which you might find helpful.
    Is that what happened earlier because I created this thread and then I found someone else as the OP?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wendy_ZHANG)
    sorry i cannot remember what was the question for ii.)?
    Neither can I.:dontknow: Remind me tomorrow when the paper is uploaded and I'll let you know. (Tag me in this thread.)
    (Original post by Sacktock)
    or a=-13.5
    Will edit later.
    (Original post by TheJKing)
    It wanted simplest form so a should be:
    (2(p+6)/13) + ((3p-8)/13)i
    They won't penalise for that though. But I will edit.
    (Original post by tanjamaths123)
    lplp
    :wtf:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Is that what happened earlier because I created this thread and then I found someone else as the OP?
    Yes - there were two identical threads created by different members so I merged them to keep everything together.

Thank you for being clear about TSR's rules regarding the posting up of papers and solutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yolo246)
    Can someone please explain why for 6b it wasn't 2.5. My thought process was 4p-10=0 so p=2.5? why is this wrong?
    It is 4p-6=0 idk where u got the 10 from

ReputationRep:
    Please explain.
    Check what I quoted to see what and why I bumped it, I would like to know how many marks I would drop for misreading the equation as -4/x^2, rather than +4/x^2, for the 1st question
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Yes - there were two identical threads created by different members so I merged them to keep everything together.

Thank you for being clear about TSR's rules regarding the posting up of papers and solutions
    I see. Considering I'd started it 2 mins after exam finished I didn't think it likely that someone else would also be doing the same so soon.

That's ok.

I've been done for breaking them before. Although I have a healthy habit of talking my way out of a muddied community record.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I see. Considering I'd started it 2 mins after exam finished I didn't think it likely that someone else would also be doing the same so soon.

That's ok.

I've been done for breaking them before. Although I have a healthy habit of talking my way out of a muddied community record.
    Haha! You seem to make very worthwhile contributions to me, so I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    Sum of 2 to the r minus 1 is not explicitly in fp1 syllabus so they cant penalise you for not knowing, i dont think youd lose marks as theyre assuming people remember their c2, fp1 is not designed as a synoptic module. Unless that formula is in the data booklet, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Sum of 2 to the r minus 1 is not explicitly in fp1 syllabus so they cant penalise you for not knowing, i dont think youd lose marks as theyre assuming people remember their c2, fp1 is not designed as a synoptic module. Unless that formula is in the data booklet, is it?
    tis in the data booklet, but under c2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    tis in the data booklet, but under c2
    Well ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    tbh I doubt you'll lose more than 1 mark even if they do take marks off for that, it's a valid answer and the question only asked you to find the value of k

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.