a = 9/2 or -27/2
    Area (FXD) 15/16 a^2
    D: (-a , -3/2 a)
    Induction at the end (use assumption)
    k = 2/9 for sum
    other root: -3-2i
    a = 2
    b = -11 (or something like that)
    y=x/2 xy=16 (4sqrt(2), 2sqrt(2)) and (-4sqrt(2),-2sqrt(2))
    p = 20 somewhere

Anyone else remember?
    a would be ±4.5 surely as 27/2 wouldn't lead to the correct area

ReputationRep:
    I messed up the second proof by induction so badly.... hoping for incredibly low grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Am i the only one who forgot the sum for 2 to the power of r-1 from c2 so manually wrote out all 12 terms :clap2:such mathematical elegance
    I did that too.

ReputationRep:
    Eventually got the answer For 9 i but the first proof messed me up so I messed up on a lot of questions.

Hoping I still did enough for an A from method marks

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do the first proof by induction question? Was I wrong to prove true for n=k+1 and n=k+2?

ReputationRep:
    All fun and games apart from I put 15a/16 not a^2, boo.

Hope it went well for you all!

ReputationRep:
    yh how does a equal to 27/2 give the same area? surely the other value of a is -4.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemath)
    How did everyone do the first proof by induction question? Was I wrong to prove true for n=k+1 and n=k+2?
    You have to test n=1 and n=2, assume it's true for n = k and n = k + 1 then test if it's true for n = k + 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DAMNIMREALASSHIT)
    yh how does a equal to 27/2 give the same area? surely the other value of a is -4.5
    -27/2 because -27/2 x 2 + 9 = -18. The scale factor is absolute value of det m, so you need to find a such that det m = +/-18

ReputationRep:
    Went very well for me.

I did not get two solutions for a though... I got 9/2 but not another solution... I also did the parabola question in terms of a and q despite q being given.

Q8 I wrongly simplified the summation from r=1 to 12 of k(2^(r-1)) to 12k...

How many marks do you think I'd lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murat10q7)
    you know the last part of the series question i got 910=sigma k(2^r-1) and couldnt do the rest how many mark do you think that'll get? and how many marks was that last part of the question if any1 knows?
    the question was 4 marks, I'd say you're on for 1 or 2, can't see you getting more than 3 marks without using geometric sum

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how k was 2/9?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember how many marks each question was worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    the question was 4 marks, I'd say you're on for 1 or 2, can't see you getting more than 3 marks without using geometric sum
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarathon)
    Went very well for me.

I did not get two solutions for a though... I got 9/2 but not another solution... I also did the parabola question in terms of a and q despite q being given. How many marks would I lose from this?

Also what was Q8 again?
    the series q was 8. The second solution for a satisfies det m = -18 (rather than det m =18). Not sure about the thing about a and q, if you did reach a correct solution probably not more than 1 or 2 marks

ReputationRep:
    I love MATHS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diogenesax)
    Can someone explain how k was 2/9?
    use your answer to part a to find the sum to 12 of everything that didn't have the geometric bit, subtract that answer from the total then use the c2 sum of geometric series formula. Can't exactly remember what happens after that but you end up with 2/9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murat10q7)
    what do you guys think the gradr boundaries will be
    Fairly standard I'd say. Definitely wasn't an easy paper, but I wouldn't say it was especially hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Am i the only one who forgot the sum for 2 to the power of r-1 from c2 so manually wrote out all 12 terms :clap2:such mathematical elegance
    Samme fam 😂😂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.