Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm genuinely scared I'm going to fail my exams, I'm doing AS levels. I think I might have some sort of undiagnosed anxiety or stress problem and as a result have really struggled to cope with work and revision. I want to go to my doctor but I only realised I was having an actual issue and not just pre exam stress this week so it was too late to save my exams. Is there anything I can do about anything? I just feel so low right now because my entire life school has been the one thing I'm good at but I can't do it now and I just can't cope. Please help

ReputationRep:
    It's easy for someone to come by and say "relax, you're fine!". It's a whole other thing to actually do it.
    I also struggle from anxiety and I had a lot of trouble though school.
    Half of the anxiety comes from knowing you should be doing something you're not or vice versa. e.g. you know you struggle on this particular topic but you want to revise the other things because that's what you're good at and it makes you feel better when you get it right.
    Don't fall for it!
    Stick to what you're bad at for now. It's not long so hang in there!
    If you work this way, you know you have done the best you can and you'll have no regrets.
    In regard to the anxiety, if you feel a panic attack coming, I find it helps to look around you, saying the words of objects to the beat of your heart. Not only will it help focus your mind in the present so you feel more relaxed, it will also decrease your heart rate as you're brain, not being able to keep up with the rapid heart rate, makes your heart rate decrease.
    I wish you luck in exams and I hope this helps.
    Just remember: You are not alone.

(Original post by EmoTrash)
    It's easy for someone to come by and say "relax, you're fine!". It's a whole other thing to actually do it.
    I also struggle from anxiety and I had a lot of trouble though school.
    Half of the anxiety comes from knowing you should be doing something you're not or vice versa. e.g. you know you struggle on this particular topic but you want to revise the other things because that's what you're good at and it makes you feel better when you get it right.
    Don't fall for it!
    Stick to what you're bad at for now. It's not long so hang in there!
    If you work this way, you know you have done the best you can and you'll have no regrets.
    In regard to the anxiety, if you feel a panic attack coming, I find it helps to look around you, saying the words of objects to the beat of your heart. Not only will it help focus your mind in the present so you feel more relaxed, it will also decrease your heart rate as you're brain, not being able to keep up with the rapid heart rate, makes your heart rate decrease.
    I wish you luck in exams and I hope this helps.
    Just remember: You are not alone.
    Thank you. This has really helped. It just sometimes feels like I'm struggling so much and no one even cares, when I try to talk to people about it they just brush me off. Thank you for the tip about panic attacks, I'll try that next time I feel one. I never really knew how to handle them so I just pretend I'm fine and there's nothing wrong even though I feel as though I can't breathe. I don't think anyone would understand if I told them anyway

ReputationRep:
    Take a few breathes and clam down. Write out a quick revision plan and get creative with your notes. On an A3 page just stick all the key points from your notes and make it look pretty. I have an As exam in a few hours and that's exactly what I'm doing.

You have worked hard throughout the year so there is no use in stressing last minute, try to go into your exams cool clam and collected, I even avoid any one who I know will annoy me or put me in a bad mood before exams to keep a clear head.

I know that talking to your parents about mental health issues can be hard to face and they might just put it down to exam stress but if your genuinely feeling miserable after the exams then let them know.

As for a quick remedy take loads of short break while your revising, I have a friend who takes panic attacks and she uses calming oil before she goes into an exam and sweets which you can buy from Holland and Barret. As soon as the exam is over go home and do something you really enjoy! Your deserve it! Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm genuinely scared I'm going to fail my exams, I'm doing AS levels. I think I might have some sort of undiagnosed anxiety or stress problem and as a result have really struggled to cope with work and revision. I want to go to my doctor but I only realised I was having an actual issue and not just pre exam stress this week so it was too late to save my exams. Is there anything I can do about anything? I just feel so low right now because my entire life school has been the one thing I'm good at but I can't do it now and I just can't cope. Please help
    Do your best.
    Going for a walk, meditating, getting enough sleep can all take the edge off anxiety
    Focus and think about what happens in the next week.
    After the exams see your GP
    You can always resit if needed and you will realise the sky doesnt fall in. Better to deal with it now so you are ready for A2.

ReputationRep:
    I think you could do with taking a break, as forcing yourself to do work isn't going to help you at all. At worst you have to do a couple of resits next year, you can still get into a very good university with resits. I have struggled with anxiety and stress these last couple of years, and have made myself physically ill as a result, and the best thing I have found is to just take a break, distract myself from the exams.

I understand you want to cram and do last minute revision, but sometimes just leaving it be and relaxing at this late stage can help you relax and calm down. Being anxious and stressed will affect your exam performance, and the only real thing you can do right now (unless your memory is amazing and you can cram like a god) is try and calm down, and accept that whatever happens it isn't the end of the world. (I acknowledge this is very very hard to do)

Good Luck!

This is me right now and im in year 13

ReputationRep:
    This is me right now and im in year 13
    Im in year 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do everything you can to clear your mind, everyone is nervous about exams, remember it's not just you. Do things that make you happy. i.e for me it's run, play video games and eat. Try and get some tunes on when you study, i personally recommend house, jazz and hip hop, but listen to whatever you enjoy try and make your life as happy as possible music puts me in a good mood and helps me concentrate. I've finished all of my exams but to the rest of you unfortunate souls good luck!

ReputationRep:
    just relaxxx dude !!!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.