Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ECT- what do we think? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Treating children with electroconvulsive therapy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39961472

I've just read this article which I found really interesting. It's about how ECT could be used to treat some people with severe autism, and other neurological conditions. It's something that used to be used a lot, but as people became more aware of it (it looks pretty.. interesting I have to say) not so much. But it still is a bit and where, how and why it could work is starting to be investigated again a bit more.

Does anyone have any experience of ECT? Do you think it works, and do you think it's a treatment that could be worth looking into more by medics in the future? Or even, could the affects it has on people be used to teach us more about how things work in the brain itself? Any other thoughts?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Treating children with electroconvulsive therapy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39961472

I've just read this article which I found really interesting. It's about how ECT could be used to treat some people with severe autism, and other neurological conditions. It's something that used to be used a lot, but as people became more aware of it (it looks pretty.. interesting I have to say) not so much. But it still is a bit and where, how and why it could work is starting to be investigated again a bit more.

Does anyone have any experience of ECT? Do you think it works, and do you think it's a treatment that could be worth looking into more by medics in the future? Or even, could the affects it has on people be used to teach us more about how things work in the brain itself? Any other thoughts?
    Personally i see it was a last resort treatment, being that we can't be certain of the long term risks out it. A family member of my fiance had it done and it was in the 1980s i think so obviously it was completely different then but it did cause her a bit of harm.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Personally i see it was a last resort treatment, being that we can't be certain of the long term risks out it. A family member of my fiance had it done and it was in the 1980s i think so obviously it was completely different then but it did cause her a bit of harm.
    Yeah, would agree with that definitely. It's a way better controlled than it used to be and done in very small amounts at a time but it's still not something that a lot is known about. Sorry it caused her harm- did it appear to help at the time or not out of curiosity?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Yeah, would agree with that definitely. It's a way better controlled than it used to be and done in very small amounts at a time but it's still not something that a lot is known about. Sorry it caused her harm- did it appear to help at the time or not out of curiosity?
    I don't think she knows if it did or not just seems to have been traumatic

ReputationRep:
    I think with regards to using it as a treatment for depression, it should only be used as a last resort and never on children.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.