Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Starting RGU adult nursing Sept what will I need?

I'm a mature student starting in Sept, but want to be prepared, is there anything I should be getting before I start, will I need a laptop, any books etc. Any help would be appreciated as it was a long time since I was in college.

ReputationRep:
    You will need some sort of computer to write assignments/essays on. i will be starting September too but somewhere else, from student nurses i have questioned;
    Don't bother buying books before you start, most of your advised reading will be in your unis library.
    A pocket/fob watch.
    Good quality sensible black shoes (clarkes) for placement.
    Pocket sized notebook for placement.
    Paper and pens for notes.
    folder and dividers to organise notes taken.
    Last but not least 3 different student nurses told me alcohol... aparently we are going to need it 😂

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, the only thing I don't have is a laptop, I am planning on cycling into uni and thought about the asus ha200 it's only cheap but it's small and light, I just hope it will be powerful enough to do what's needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Furgan)
    Starting RGU adult nursing Sept what will I need?

I'm a mature student starting in Sept, but want to be prepared, is there anything I should be getting before I start, will I need a laptop, any books etc. Any help would be appreciated as it was a long time since I was in college.
    I would agree about a laptop. Get yourself some comfortable shoes because you are going to be on your feet a lot.

As an aside, to give yourself the edge - make sure your maths is up to speed - drug calculations are a very important part of the job and it is surprising how bad some nurses are. Also read up about important issues in the NHS, gov policy etc - you will have modules on that. And just do some background reading. I have a lot of students passing through my care and many thirds years even have very rudimentary knowledge of anatomy and physiology. If you have time look at major drug groups and what they are used for. Elderly patients especially are on a polypharmacy of medication - you will need to know what they are all for and the side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I am also starting as a mature student in September! In lectures, do most students still take notes on paper or does everyone take in a laptop or iPad? Feel like such an oldie asking that!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    100% a laptop as rgu library has rubbish opening hours except for exam week! And aberdeen uni is like 40 minute bus away and I can't use their computers.
    Don't buy books. Only ones I'd say you'll end up buying at rgu is marsden as it's a must have! And Ross and Wilson anatomy and physiology and anatomy and physiology colouring book.
    Rgu have a brilliant online ebook service which stock basically any book/ article you can possibly think of, so honestly no need to buy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.