Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism is NOT equality Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I'm lost, are you talking to me?
    yes, that's why I replied to YOUR comment. anyway I gotta go to lessons now, sorry we can't continue the discussion for now. I apologise if I sound too harsh on feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakisaka)
    Threads like this are such a circlejerk, this is not a debate. Just a ton of people who already have preconceived feelings about feminists and ***** about them while up voting each others comments. You would think that people so heavily against feminism would be promoting male equality and help others identify issues resolved around men, but nope you would just rather ***** about feminists instead. Don't pretend that you care about equality.
    This. They are obsessed which is pretty pathetic when you barely see any ranty threads from feminists on here.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is by definition equality.

Feminism:
    The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Account made the other day. Check.
    Harping on about feminism in a bad way. Check.

Lel.

ReputationRep:
    I understand people have their own way of looking at this, but I define feminism as equality amongst genders, whilst acknowledging the historical injustice that women have suffered. That's what the "fem" part means, at least for me. It's not at all about one gender better than the other. I totally understand that all genders have issues and feminism is about tackling them for everyone, not just women.
    But of course, think what you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimJam10)
    u cannot speak properly, properly have an iq of 34 and there are TWO genders!!!
    Lmao you have no idea how much oppression ur causing, like omg I cant even begin to tell ypi of all the people crying rn JESUS PRAISE

ReputationRep:
    Mankind refers to all humans but it's name has the word MAN in it
    Your point is irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    Feminists just get laughed at by 90% of the female population :laugh: They think they speak for all women when in fact they speak for themselves, a small minority of women with a superiority complex.
    "lol feminazis are laughed at by 90% of women XD they think they speak for all of them" they said as they made a sweeping generalization of all women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babsxox)
    "lol feminazis are laughed at by 90% of women XD they think they speak for all of them" they said as they made a sweeping generalization of all women
    Actually no I'm not making a generalisation. Surveys have been carried out that show a mere 7% of women in the UK identify as a feminist. Whereas more two thirds supports gender equality.

This to me is a clear indication that feminism is different to women's rights, which it is.

Gender equality / women's rights :yy:

Feminism / women's superiority :nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    Actually no I'm not making a generalisation. Surveys have been carried out that show a mere 7% of women in the UK identify as a feminist. Whereas more two thirds supports gender equality.

This to me is a clear indication that feminism is different to women's rights, which it is.

Gender equality / women's rights :yy:

Feminism / women's superiority :nn:
    if you're referring to this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/lif...ves-feminists/) then you're mistaken in the fact that it's only "7% of women are feminists". the survey had male and female participants, and 9% of females labelled themselves as feminists.

however, if you read the article:
    "Around 61 per cent of those aged 18-34 said they were sympathetic to feminism – a figure that jumped to 72 per cent for those aged more than 55"

these people are not laughing at feminism. they can understand that like literally any other social movement, feminism has some bad people in it, but they understand that the core beliefs of feminism are admirable.

ReputationRep:
    oh and also the 7% figure isn't set in stone because we have other sources saying that it's closer to 35% (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6728446.html), and another one with 19% (https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/10/05...l-it-feminism/)

also, the amount of people who didn't actually believe in gender equality in the initial 7% survey is rather interesting (a mere 81%)

ReputationRep:
    Feminism only seems like it sexists because women are so far behind. It is completely about equal rights hence why feminists fight so hard against MISANDRY as well as misogyny. It doesn't make sense to listen to so much of what guys think about feminism considering they are on the good side of glass ceiling...

ReputationRep:
    Why is this nonsense in the faith and spirituality section?

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is just ridiculous tbh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.