Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Student Finance won't pay my tuition? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So when I was eighteen I went to university but due to issues in my personal life I ended up failing and having to re take the first year which I did. However these personal issues carried on into this second year and I ended up dropping out in February of that year. Student Finance paid for both of these university years.

Five years on I am starting university again and have been offered an unconditional place at a different university studying a different course. However, once I applied for student finance they sent me a letter saying I had been approved but the letter said they wouldn't pay anything to my university but they would offer me a maintenance loan of £3,900. I thought I must have made a mistake in my application so cancelled this one and started fresh. Today I've received a letter saying they won't pay my university anything nor would they give me a maintenance loan.

Do I have any options here? What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    you have had three years funding all realy, at best you could hope for 1 year ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    you have had three years funding all realy, at best you could hope for 1 year ....
    I've only had two. The original year where I failed and then the re take where I dropped out.

ReputationRep:
    the rules around tuition fees are the length of your initial course of study 1 year. The only way you could have that extended is if you submit a case for compelling personal reasons along with evidence clearly demonstrating that you dropped out due to reasons beyond your control e.g illness etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doomsday Bunny)
    the rules around tuition fees are the length of your initial course of study 1 year. The only way you could have that extended is if you submit a case for compelling personal reasons along with evidence clearly demonstrating that you dropped out due to reasons beyond your control e.g illness etc.
    A word about this - do foundation years count? So, if my course is 4 years, would I be entitled to 4+1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunlethSky)
    A word about this - do foundation years count? So, if my course is 4 years, would I be entitled to 4+1?
    As far as I am aware yes, however its worth noting that I do not work for student finace. Im just some randomer on the interent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doomsday Bunny)
    As far as I am aware yes, however its worth noting that I do not work for student finace. Im just some randomer on the interent.
    A helpful randomer, at that! Thanks ^^
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by tomjen1993)
    I've only had two. The original year where I failed and then the re take where I dropped out.
    You have had three according to you.

Year 1 fail
    Year 1 resit
    Year 2 fail.

That puts you at degree -2.

They only start paying fees from the final year forwards.
    In that case you would be expected to pay for years 1 and 2 fees.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by SunlethSky)
    They count but they can be awkward. The most efficient way is to do a degree course with a combined foundation rather than an individual foundation and then a degree course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

Year 1 fail
    Year 1 resit
    Year 2 fail.

that was my reading of the situation as well

that the OP has had 3 of the standard 4 years of funding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

Year 1 fail
    Year 1 resit
    Year 2 fail.

It's only 2 years, Op dropped out on his resit year not the actual second year of the degree
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Kravence)
    It's only 2 years, Op dropped out on his resit year not the actual second year of the degree
    Its ambiguous the OP could clarify, but they never bothered to take ownership of the thread. I took it as three as described above with the second year he mentioned being the second year of the degree and different from his first year and first year resit. I suppose it depends what he meant by this.

If it is only 2 years then its degree -1 and the same as ive written above.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by zippyRN)
    that was my reading of the situation as well

that the OP has had 3 of the standard 4 years of funding
    Not to ignore you but I read as three as well. but there is ambiguity and t could be two. OP never bothered with the thread so no point carrying on.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.