Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A level to take for an Economics or Engineering Course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Edit messed up title- meant Economics or Engineering Course.
    I need some help on the A levels I should take for the best chance to do an Economics course or Engineering Course.

I am definitely doing Maths and Russian A level.

I do not know whether to take now Physics, Chemistry or Economics.

I could either take physics and Economics or physics and chemistry.

Just want some real advice on accomodating for either of these two courses.
    Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Lol I have till monday because I'm passed the deadline sorry if anyone could help please?

ReputationRep:
    Economics may be helpful in an economics degree
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2204)
    I need some help on the A levels I should take for the best chance to do an Economics course or Engineering Course.

I am definitely doing Maths and Russian A level.

I do not know whether to take now Physics, Chemistry or Economics.

I could either take physics and Economics or physics and chemistry.

Just want some real advice on accomodating for either of these two courses.
    Thanks for any help
    Maths, Physics and Economics are probably optimal for the two courses you are considering.

You don't usually *need* Economics to study it, but it is obviously helpful.

Most engineering courses require Maths and Physics, not Chemistry.

I'd question the need to add a 4th A-level. You want to have quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Maths, Physics and Economics are probably optimal for the two courses you are considering. You don't usually *need* Economics to study it, but it is obviously helpful.

I'd question the need to add a 4th A-level. You want to have quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry not very familiar with the system.

I meant I am taking 4 subjects and will be dropping one for AS

Do you think Russian would be a good subject to take to A2? Or would it be preferable to drop it at AS?
    Thanks for the help
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sorry not very familiar with the system.

I meant I am taking 4 subjects and will be dropping one for AS

Do you think Russian would be a good subject to take to A2? Or would it be preferable to drop it at AS?
    Thanks for the help
    If you want to keep your options open then you should drop Russian.

If you can decide between them then you can keep Russian and drop the corresponding other subject.

So Maths, Physics and Russian is fine for Engineering at most universities.

Or Maths, Economics and Russian for Economics.

Or, if you think Russian is your weakest subject then of course you can drop it anyway. Most universities have Language Labs to help you learn languages alongside your main course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If you want to keep your options open then you should drop Russian.

If you can decide between them then you can keep Russian and drop the corresponding other subject.

So Maths, Physics and Russian is fine for Engineering at most universities.

Or Maths, Economics and Russian for Economics.

Or, if you think Russian is your weakest subject then of course you can drop it anyway. Most universities have Language Labs to help you learn languages alongside your main course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see you made it clear.
    Still slightly uncertain between chemistry and economics but I'm veering towards economics.

Thank you very much for all your help, really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I am still wondering can I get into a top university economics course with Maths Physics Chemistry and Russian (with one of them probably russian as AS). Would I be able to get into somewhere like LSE with Maths Physics Chemistry/ Russian?

Would Chemistry be keeping my options more open or is Maths and Physics enough for most engineering jobs? Sorry for being so questioning I just want to know as much as I can for my decision thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you want to apply. A lot of the economics courses like to see further maths. Not sure if that's possible for you, but if it is, that's a good idea since both engineering and economics can substantially benefit from further maths.

Russian would be fine for AS as a contrasting subject, but you should think about taking it to A2 if you want to do engineering. It probably would be okay for economics.

I would say either: Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Economics OR Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Russian (dropping Russian if you want to do engineering) if you can do further maths.

If you can't; do Maths, Physics, Economics, Russian - Chemistry is only better than physics for certain types of engineering, generally physics is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martins1)
    Depends where you want to apply. A lot of the economics courses like to see further maths. Not sure if that's possible for you, but if it is, that's a good idea since both engineering and economics can substantially benefit from further maths.

Russian would be fine for AS as a contrasting subject, but you should think about taking it to A2 if you want to do engineering. It probably would be okay for economics.

I would say either: Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Economics OR Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Russian (dropping Russian if you want to do engineering) if you can do further maths.

If you can't; do Maths, Physics, Economics, Russian - Chemistry is only better than physics for certain types of engineering, generally physics is.
    I probably cannot do Further Maths, feeling bad about that. Can I still have a good chance with Maths, Physics and Russian /( plus economics or chemistry)?

ReputationRep:
    I do Econ at uni.

In my opinion, the best two A levels to prepare you for it at degree level would be Maths and Economics in that order. Your other two choices can be anything you want, preferably things you're good at.

Many advocate Maths, Econ, Physics and either Further Maths/Chemistry as the prime combination but I'd say the benefit anything other than Maths/Econ provides is very marginal.

If you want to keep your options open to both Econ and Engineering and keep Russian, then you should pick Maths, Physics, Econ and Russian.

ReputationRep:
    I probably cannot do Further Maths, feeling bad about that. Can I still have a good chance with Maths, Physics and Russian /( plus economics or chemistry)?
    Yeah if you don't feel good about it, definitely don't - its only if you can, you should. Not sure what unis you're applying to, but I know oxbridge and LSE really want to see further maths. I heard one LSE admissions officer tell someone who was considering whether to take further maths or not that they definitely should.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if you don't feel good about it, definitely don't - its only if you can, you should. Not sure what unis you're applying to, but I know oxbridge and LSE really want to see further maths. I heard one LSE admissions officer tell someone who was considering whether to take further maths or not that they definitely should.

Ah shame ok I'll speak with my school to see if I can get onto Further Maths (might be over subscribed or my timetable may not be able to accomodate)

Would LSE accept if I could take Maths and Physics and Economics? Dam I wish I had chosen further maths earlier I seriously may not be able to at this point

ReputationRep:
    Ah shame ok I'll speak with my school to see if I can get onto Further Maths (might be over subscribed or my timetable may not be able to accomodate)

Would LSE accept if I could take Maths and Physics and Economics? Dam I wish I had chosen further maths earlier I seriously may not be able to at this point
    Honestly I think you should email LSE admissions or contact them about it. I obviously don't know as much as them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Fixed that for you

ReputationRep:
    I studied Economics at University. I think Maths will definitely help you a lot and doing Economics at A-level will help you understand concepts better in your first year of uni. I personally think the fact that you are doing a language as well will make you an attractive candidate to any uni, and as for your fourth subject I think it is best to choose what you think you can score the best in. As long as you have the minimum subject requirements to study your chosen degree, your last subject could be something you enjoy and could do best in - grade wise!

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Fixed that for you
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    I do Econ at uni.

In my opinion, the best two A levels to prepare you for it at degree level would be Maths and Economics in that order. Your other two choices can be anything you want, preferably things you're good at.

Many advocate Maths, Econ, Physics and either Further Maths/Chemistry as the prime combination but I'd say the benefit anything other than Maths/Econ provides is very marginal.

If you want to keep your options open to both Econ and Engineering and keep Russian, then you should pick Maths, Physics, Econ and Russian.
    Thank you I will hopefully go with this, I am just slightly concerned that without further maths I may be at a disadvantage or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLogan)
    I studied Economics at University. I think Maths will definitely help you a lot and doing Economics at A-level will help you understand concepts better in your first year of uni. I personally think the fact that you are doing a language as well will make you an attractive candidate to any uni, and as for your fourth subject I think it is best to choose what you think you can score the best in. As long as you have the minimum subject requirements to study your chosen degree, your last subject could be something you enjoy and could do best in - grade wise!

Hope this helped
    Hi thanks for this and I think I will take russian for AS maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think you should email LSE admissions or contact them about it. I obviously don't know as much as them.
    Thanks for all your help. I'll send LSE an email.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.