Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Official Thread and Reaction the Geography AQA GCSE (Specification A) for the 2017 June Examinations which took place on Monday 22nd of May and Tuesday 6th of June.

ReputationRep:
    This is my prediction for the 8 markers. I'm doing Coasts, Rocks and Restless Earth
    Coasts: Impacts of coastal erosion and how to protect it
    Could also be comparing hard and soft engineering
    Rocks: How are rocks used in some areas
    Restless Earth: Describe the effects of a volcano
    Also Tsunamis have come up a lot so it may be that too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samanthaplague)
    This is my prediction for the 8 markers. I'm doing Coasts, Rocks and Restless Earth
    Coasts: Impacts of coastal erosion and how to protect it
    Could also be comparing hard and soft engineering
    Rocks: How are rocks used in some areas
    Restless Earth: Describe the effects of a volcano
    Also Tsunamis have come up a lot so it may be that too
    I'm also doing Restless Earth and also Water on the Land and Living World. Yes I think effects of a volcano might come up.

ReputationRep:
    are the grade boundaries normally low for geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westsidegirl)
    are the grade boundaries normally low for geography
    Yep. Sometimes an A* is 49 marks. That means you can miss out one whole section but get full marks on the other two and get an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameron_Brown)
    Yep. Sometimes an A* is 49 marks. That means you can miss out one whole section but get full marks on the other two and get an A*
    How much is the paper out of?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Restless Earth, Water on the Land and The Coastal Zone.

Restless Earth predictions: Differences between shield and composite volcanoes, formation of a super volcano, some graphs on tsunamis. The case study will probably be either effects or responses of/to a tsunami or the effects or responses of/to a volcanic eruption

Water on the Land predictions: Transportation processes, labeling landforms on a river, working with hydrographs, factors that influence lag time and river discharge, formation of either levees or a floodplain. The case study could be evaluating dam/reservoir construction

The Coastal Zone predictions: Weathering and mass movement, diagram to show the process of longshore drift, formation of a depositional landform (spit, bar or tombolo). The case study could be cliff collapse or there could be an eight marker on hard and soft engineering strategies which protect the coast.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this thread x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any Ice On Land predictions??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moppet)
    How much is the paper out of?
    75 marks (25 marks per section). It was 45 marks last year for an A*. It will probbaly be slightly higher this year for an A*, maybe 48-52. A low grade boundary for an A*. But still, revise as much as you can. It's a satisfying subject to perform well in.

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys revise for coastal processes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If someone could help me on this questions thanks
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4724940

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    If someone could help me on this questions thanks
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4724940

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which paper and which topic is this from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    Which paper and which topic is this from?
    AQA June paper

And it's coasts x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi All, im doing Restless Earth, Water on the land and coasts. Thanks for this thread, should be a help in the revision process
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    AQA June paper

And it's coasts x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't do Coasts so I cannot give you a proper explanation, but for 4 mark questions it is marked in 2 levels, level one and level 2. To get 4 marks you have to make two points and explain them (in this question it seems like they have set the question up so you do this). Since you have been given 2 marks (which is in level one) I guess it means you have not elaborated enough and explained you points fully. So my advice would be to try and explain your points (i.e use because... this means...) as much as possible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Here are Past papers if anyone cannot find them.
    Remember to pick the right one, i.e. Higher ones if you are doing Higher.
    The exam on Monday is the Physical paper.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...d-mark-schemes

Go on Geography, then GCSE, then Geography A (9030).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameron_Brown)
    75 marks (25 marks per section). It was 45 marks last year for an A*. It will probbaly be slightly higher this year for an A*, maybe 48-52. A low grade boundary for an A*. But still, revise as much as you can. It's a satisfying subject to perform well in.
    How do you work out the overall grade boundaries if it just shows you the boundaries of the individual components?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    How do you work out the overall grade boundaries if it just shows you the boundaries of the individual components?
    The grade boundaries are just for each paper. The physical paper always has the lower grade boundary because apparently it is harder (not for me). The highest they have ever made this paper is 53/75!!! So I think it's pretty safe to say that the grade boundaries for this paper this year would be around 50-57 depending on the paper.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samanthaplague)
    The grade boundaries are just for each paper. The physical paper always has the lower grade boundary because apparently it is harder (not for me). The highest they have ever made this paper is 53/75!!! So I think it's pretty safe to say that the grade boundaries for this paper this year would be around 50-57 depending on the paper.
    So the your overall grade boundary is the average of the two papers?
    E.G if an A* for physical is 50 and the A* for human in 60, then the overall A* boundary would be 55?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.