Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Can I do an apprenticeship with no GSCEs? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    So, I already started university, then I decided to interrupt my studies due to financial issues at home so that I can work full time. While being on gap year until September 2018, I thought to myself: "Why not do an apprenticeship, and learn while earning?"

So, I was searching apprenticeships and found some that I'd like to apply for. However, they all require a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C or above including English and Maths. Also an IT level 3 qualification.

I do not have any GCSE certificates, although I've been to school and completed them, I was too scared to go to Exam results day to collect my certificates (I have Social Anxiety). I phoned my school few months ago but they did not have my certificates anymore (5 years had passed since I left school). I also know that I have not achieved C or above in English or Maths and many other subjects, therefore, I feel there is no point to re-order my certificates from the exam board.

I do however, have a Level 3 IT qualification and Foundation Level 2 in Maths and English (equivalent to C, I believe) which I have achieved from studying at college.

So my question is, can I do an apprenticeship with only the qualifications I achieved from studying at college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiranbaria)
    So, I already started university, then I decided to interrupt my studies due to financial issues at home so that I can work full time. While being on gap year until September 2018, I thought to myself: "Why not do an apprenticeship, and learn while earning?"

So, I was searching apprenticeships and found some that I'd like to apply for. However, they all require a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C or above including English and Maths. Also an IT level 3 qualification.

I do not have any GCSE certificates, although I've been to school and completed them, I was too scared to go to Exam results day to collect my certificates (I have Social Anxiety). I phoned my school few months ago but they did not have my certificates anymore (5 years had passed since I left school). I also know that I have not achieved C or above in English or Maths and many other subjects, therefore, I feel there is no point to re-order my certificates from the exam board.

I do however, have a Level 3 IT qualification and Foundation Level 2 in Maths and English (equivalent to C, I believe) which I have achieved from studying at college.

So my question is, can I do an apprenticeship with only the qualifications I achieved from studying at college?
    It depends what type of Apprenticeship you want to do, if you do an Advanced Apprenticeship then 5 GCSES is ideal but if you do an Intermediate Apprenticeship then you would be eligible to apply.

This website should give you more information about the various types of Apprenticeships available:
    https://www.unionlearn.org.uk/levels-apprenticeship

But I would recommend contacting the apprenticeship provider and asking them whether your qualifications are sufficient enough to apply.

When I received an offer for my Degree Apprenticeship they didn't care about my GCSE's and only cared for my Level 3 qualification.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.