Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Why didn't Trotsky read out Lenin's Testament at the 12th Party Congress? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why he wouldn't, I've just assumed it's because he wouldn't want to be see as attacking Stalin but I'm not sure whether that's right.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was due to a general agreement among other prominent Party members that it shouldn't be read out, like Stalin of course and also Zinoviev and Kamenev who also played a part in the leadership contest but the testament didn't exactly give an 100% favourable view of them. The Ban on Factions (1921) meant everyone had to agree; so Trotsky was probably forced to take the majority view that it shouldn't be read out! That's what I assumed anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrahearts)
    I thought it was due to a general agreement among other prominent Party members that it shouldn't be read out, like Stalin of course and also Zinoviev and Kamenev who also played a part in the leadership contest but the testament didn't exactly give an 100% favourable view of them. The Ban on Factions (1921) meant everyone had to agree; so Trotsky was probably forced to take the majority view that it shouldn't be read out! That's what I assumed anyway
    That's right...things were quite tense back then...speaking of testament we could also see it as the USSR's own funeral..no Lenin no progress, without NEP the country struggled perpetually

Poll
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.