Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Will Manchester accept A*B? Watch

Announcements
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    So It got off to a great start I mean I am 99% confident that I got at least 85 in C1 .

    However today due to extreme anxiety and other factors I think i messed FP1 up I have graded a number of my practice papers with other people across a number of modules looked at grade barriers and etc. This was an easy paper but i still ****ed it. So I have estimated my grade already at a D for this module I am pretty confident that is where it will be. I Could get a C or could slip down to E grade but would very surprised if this was a B grade or a U grade. C1 is probably around 85 possibly low 90s but wont go past 95 and is almost certainly an A.

    so i have been looking at this and I need four modules to bring me up to the A grade well FP2 is a going to be bad but S1 S2 M1 M2 D1 it is highly likely that that at least 3 of these can contribute to further Maths with high 90s so 95 etc. but obviously I need to two of these for Maths unless I decide to sit and flunk D2 which makes little sense because I think I can do well in D1

    Bottom line is with a D in FP1 and likely a D in FP2 that gives me 100 i need 380 from four modules which means 95 average from the rest. I can do that in S1 and M1 but not sure about the others. I genuinely think with a lot of practice from now I could hit 100% in C3 and scrape an A grade in C4. giving me the A* for Maths.

    Manchester offered me AA so If I got an A*B would they just flat out reject me or would they still take me?

    also if I took a gap year would Warwick likely make me an offer assuming I have A*B with decent A grades in all the other modules except FP1 and Fp2?

    I mean if I submitted mitigation for FP1? etc? it wouldn't be a lie I would have got at least a B on that paper if not for the panic attacks and anxiety probably even an A.

    i would be applying for MORSE?

    is it a bad idea to contact Manchester and let them know an exam went badly due to anxiety and I am worried about meeting the offer?

    I have not firmed them or insured them yet because one of my choices has not responded yet so I cant pick firm and insurance yet so they could even just withdraw the offer if I did? Is that right?

    Would It help at all to contact them? or is that a bad idea?
    Online

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    So It got off to a great start I mean I am 99% confident that I got at least 85 in C1 .

    However today due to extreme anxiety and other factors I think i messed FP1 up I have graded a number of my practice papers with other people across a number of modules looked at grade barriers and etc. This was an easy paper but i still ****ed it. So I have estimated my grade already at a D for this module I am pretty confident that is where it will be. I Could get a C or could slip down to E grade but would very surprised if this was a B grade or a U grade. C1 is probably around 85 possibly low 90s but wont go past 95 and is almost certainly an A.

    so i have been looking at this and I need four modules to bring me up to the A grade well FP2 is a going to be bad but S1 S2 M1 M2 D1 it is highly likely that that at least 3 of these can contribute to further Maths with high 90s so 95 etc. but obviously I need to two of these for Maths unless I decide to sit and flunk D2 which makes little sense because I think I can do well in D1

    Bottom line is with a D in FP1 and likely a D in FP2 that gives me 100 i need 380 from four modules which means 95 average from the rest. I can do that in S1 and M1 but not sure about the others. I genuinely think with a lot of practice from now I could hit 100% in C3 and scrape an A grade in C4. giving me the A* for Maths.

    Manchester offered me AA so If I got an A*B would they just flat out reject me or would they still take me?

    also if I took a gap year would Warwick likely make me an offer assuming I have A*B with decent A grades in all the other modules except FP1 and Fp2?

    I mean if I submitted mitigation for FP1? etc? it wouldn't be a lie I would have got at least a B on that paper if not for the panic attacks and anxiety probably even an A.

    i would be applying for MORSE?

    is it a bad idea to contact Manchester and let them know an exam went badly due to anxiety and I am worried about meeting the offer?

    I have not firmed them or insured them yet because one of my choices has not responded yet so I cant pick firm and insurance yet so they could even just withdraw the offer if I did? Is that right?

    Would It help at all to contact them? or is that a bad idea?
    Your claims of mitigation unfortunately are likely to be waved away unless your teachers were aware of it during or immediately after the exam.

    You can always resist FP1 and have your prediction based on that.

    Lastly, you never know how well you actually did. Only roughly.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Your claims of mitigation unfortunately are likely to be waved away unless your teachers were aware of it during or immediately after the exam.

    You can always resist FP1 and have your prediction based on that.

    Lastly, you never know how well you actually did. Only roughly.
    well you kind of do you never know exactly but you can combine a number of factors see now I felt confident in about 40 marks and was picking up scraps their after probably lost 5 marks due to mistakes or misreading but gained a few so likely mark region is 40-50.

    Now everyone is saying they found the paper easy. so the grade boundary for this year will be very high.

    Now I dont think its going to be as bad as Jan 2012 where you needed 69 for an A if it is I am looking at E/U but I do think it will be quite that bad I still expect high though. I would say we are probably looking at 64 for an A so looking at January 2013 45 would get grade D middle D so 55 etc.

    However I might have gained those extra few marks and scraped a C or I might have lost a few marks and boundaries may be higher putting me on an E.

    so Likely grades is strong possibility of a grade D I would say 90% sure of that 8% chance of a grade C or a Grade U and 2% chance of a grade U or a Grade B.

    For C1 I nailed it calculating 72 marks out of 75 but I probs made a few mistakes and saw one of my answers is likely wrong I wont have dropped to badly 65-67 most likely now others said that was hard but they also said their were harder papers.

    Apparently it was easier then last year. So probably looking at 62 for an A grade. so if we go to Jan 2011 at 66 I am looking at 86 UMS now It might be worse and I might get 80-82 or better and I might get 90-93 etc. But I am not going to get 75 or 98.

    of course their is outside chances of this but it is very unlikely. One module possibly two modules could throw out a proper surprise but not the whole lot and it would average out. If a Bookies was offering hard cash on my total UMS after I had sat all the exams I would be quite happy on betting on my total UMS across the two A levels of Maths and further Maths. I would be very confident I could predict my total score for both within a region of 15-20 UMS.

    I accept that could allow for borderline cases etc and for Further Maths applied modules might push me over the A line in which case I would get an A* or a B if they fail to. However if I am hoping for an A grade and think this is realistic at the time I might be upset and see a B grade but no chance of seeing a C grade. and if I am holding out for a B grade I might be pleasantly surprised and see an A* grade, but it would be scrapping not something in the 540s etc maybe 480s 490s low 500 at a push.

    there are 60 UMs between grade boundaries with the exception of the A* grade so I will know my grades before I see them.

    I am highly confident my marks in C1 are 85 UMS and my marks in FP1 will be 50UMS yes I might be a few marks out either side sure very probable but I wont be 10/15 Ums out.

    I am completely self taught so no teacher to report mitigation to. I could possibly mention it to the exam center and see if they could write anything to the university but I think your probably right it wont get mitigation. As I am giving rest breaks and extra time to allow for my anxiety.

    I guess then no point in contacting Manchester if i work really hard I can probs get 70 in FP2 and 90+ for sure in S1 M1 and S2 so 270+70+50=390 meaning I will need to take 90 Ums from either S3 or S4.. which is definitely doable but this is going to be very hard. I have lined up 15 hours of private tutoring for FP2.

    do you do or have you done further Maths?

    I guess their is an outside chance Manchester will take me with A* B but its not very likely.

    So It looks like I will be doing a gap year for sure now. I either get My A*A* and take a year out for a run at Warwick, or I come out with AB/A*B with high scores in most modules and just FP1/Fp2 pulling me down. which means I take a year out and reapply to Manchester and Nottingham, with Warwick been an ambitious choice. I think Bristol are fine with resits and Warwick might forgive a resit or two if I have done very well elsewhere and it was just one bad module.

    I have self taught this in a single year so they should be understanding I hope.
    Online

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    well you kind of do you never know exactly but you can combine a number of factors see now I felt confident in about 40 marks and was picking up scraps their after probably lost 5 marks due to mistakes or misreading but gained a few so likely mark region is 40-50.

    Now everyone is saying they found the paper easy. so the grade boundary for this year will be very high.

    Now I dont think its going to be as bad as Jan 2012 where you needed 69 for an A if it is I am looking at E/U but I do think it will be quite that bad I still expect high though. I would say we are probably looking at 64 for an A so looking at January 2013 45 would get grade D middle D so 55 etc.

    However I might have gained those extra few marks and scraped a C or I might have lost a few marks and boundaries may be higher putting me on an E.

    so Likely grades is strong possibility of a grade D I would say 90% sure of that 8% chance of a grade C or a Grade U and 2% chance of a grade U or a Grade B.

    For C1 I nailed it calculating 72 marks out of 75 but I probs made a few mistakes and saw one of my answers is likely wrong I wont have dropped to badly 65-67 most likely now others said that was hard but they also said their were harder papers.

    Apparently it was easier then last year. So probably looking at 62 for an A grade. so if we go to Jan 2011 at 66 I am looking at 86 UMS now It might be worse and I might get 80-82 or better and I might get 90-93 etc. But I am not going to get 75 or 98.

    of course their is outside chances of this but it is very unlikely. One module possibly two modules could throw out a proper surprise but not the whole lot and it would average out. If a Bookies was offering hard cash on my total UMS after I had sat all the exams I would be quite happy on betting on my total UMS across the two A levels of Maths and further Maths. I would be very confident I could predict my total score for both within a region of 15-20 UMS.

    I accept that could allow for borderline cases etc and for Further Maths applied modules might push me over the A line in which case I would get an A* or a B if they fail to. However if I am hoping for an A grade and think this is realistic at the time I might be upset and see a B grade but no chance of seeing a C grade. and if I am holding out for a B grade I might be pleasantly surprised and see an A* grade, but it would be scrapping not something in the 540s etc maybe 480s 490s low 500 at a push.

    there are 60 UMs between grade boundaries with the exception of the A* grade so I will know my grades before I see them.

    I am highly confident my marks in C1 are 85 UMS and my marks in FP1 will be 50UMS yes I might be a few marks out either side sure very probable but I wont be 10/15 Ums out.

    I am completely self taught so no teacher to report mitigation to. I could possibly mention it to the exam center and see if they could write anything to the university but I think your probably right it wont get mitigation. As I am giving rest breaks and extra time to allow for my anxiety.

    I guess then no point in contacting Manchester if i work really hard I can probs get 70 in FP2 and 90+ for sure in S1 M1 and S2 so 270+70+50=390 meaning I will need to take 90 Ums from either S3 or S4.. which is definitely doable but this is going to be very hard. I have lined up 15 hours of private tutoring for FP2.

    do you do or have you done further Maths?

    I guess their is an outside chance Manchester will take me with A* B but its not very likely.

    So It looks like I will be doing a gap year for sure now. I either get My A*A* and take a year out for a run at Warwick, or I come out with AB/A*B with high scores in most modules and just FP1/Fp2 pulling me down. which means I take a year out and reapply to Manchester and Nottingham, with Warwick been an ambitious choice. I think Bristol are fine with resits and Warwick might forgive a resit or two if I have done very well elsewhere and it was just one bad module.

    I have self taught this in a single year so they should be understanding I hope.
    Apply next year if you want.

    Contact unis if you want them to give you an opinion on your results (after results day) but I would say don't mention anything about anxiety etc unless you have proof that it occurred on that day.

    I did further maths and got 52 in FP2 but an A overall and I'm about to start my 4th year of Maths at Bath.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Apply next year if you want.

    Contact unis if you want them to give you an opinion on your results (after results day) but I would say don't mention anything about anxiety etc unless you have proof that it occurred on that day.

    I did further maths and got 52 in FP2 but an A overall and I'm about to start my 4th year of Maths at Bath.
    not a good sign everyone seems to struggle with FP2 I will need at least 70 to stand a chance here. I am going to start intense study for this on the 25th may do you know what chapters of C3 and C4 we need to know for each chapter of FP2 using the edexcel textbooks? I kinda covered it but need to cover more intense and want to do C3 and C4 at the same time so I really have a chance in grasping it.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Apply next year if you want.

    Contact unis if you want them to give you an opinion on your results (after results day) but I would say don't mention anything about anxiety etc unless you have proof that it occurred on that day.

    I did further maths and got 52 in FP2 but an A overall and I'm about to start my 4th year of Maths at Bath.
    cool still need to learn FP2 can do it in two weeks though as confident in everything else what C3 and C4 stuff do we need to know fr FP2 as will focus on that intensely for a day or two so less difficulty learning this.
    Online

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    not a good sign everyone seems to struggle with FP2 I will need at least 70 to stand a chance here. I am going to start intense study for this on the 25th may do you know what chapters of C3 and C4 we need to know for each chapter of FP2 using the edexcel textbooks? I kinda covered it but need to cover more intense and want to do C3 and C4 at the same time so I really have a chance in grasping it.
    Not everyone, I know people who got 100 or thereabouts at my uni.

    I think integration and differentiation and dealing with e^x and lnx and partial fractions is about it... if you get stuck then look it up in C3 or C4
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Not everyone, I know people who got 100 or thereabouts at my uni.

    I think integration and differentiation and dealing with e^x and lnx and partial fractions is about it... if you get stuck then look it up in C3 or C4
    okay cool your sure I wont need anything else? I am going to book tuition with private tutors as well.
 
 
 
Poll
Do you enjoy your job?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.