Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

Student Finance Direct are a complete bunch of idiots!!!

After having my application form for a loan for FOUR MONTHS, they send me the Notification of Support on Thursday... which merely states my uni, my name, my d.o.b and the fact that the notification is non-financially assessed, so it said I would be receiving the minimum loan. Basically, in four months they havent even looked at the form properly.

In a covering letter, it said they would be assessing the financial part shortly but in the meantime I should give one copy of the support notice to my uni, keep one and give one somewhere else. It says that I owe tuition fees, when I know I wont have to pay them, so theres no way Im giving it to my uni as they'll send me a bill for tuition fees.

I phoned them up and asked them, politely, what the hell the point in sending me a wrong support notice was, it was just a waste of time and paper. If i wanted to know what the minimum loan was i would have read the booklet.

They said they were still looking at my form but I would get the result of the financial assessment within the next 5-6 weeks.

Anyone else had this happen to them? I can hand in the forms and get the minmum loan but I dont want a bill for tuition fees. Or, I can go without a loan for the first few weeks of uni, not have to pay the tuition fee, and wait for them to get their slow arses in gear and look at the form.

What a nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have my loan yet

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

I don't understand what the problem is? That's all you should have received, confirmation that you are non-income assessed and your loan amount, what more do you want?

Loans don't come through until about two weeks into most people's terms anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)

I don't understand what the problem is? That's all you should have received, confirmation that you are non-income assessed and your loan amount, what more do you want?

The invoice I got from Notts on Friday said that if you didn't pay for accomodation by the first day of the period (i.e. the 19th sept) then there was an extra £40 charge. If the loans are late (and I was told by my LEA that mine would be cause my form was late), are they in anyway understanding about that? I know £40 isn't a lot, but I'm going to need all the money I can get.

ReputationRep:
    I know how much loan I'm eligible for now, but I don't know if I need to claim this yet or if I'll just be given the maximum. I've no forms to send off, though last year you were assessed how much you could get and then sent off for the desired amount. I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    i still havent even had the notification of support yet from my lea. its a hold up at the lea end apparently. they should have processed it, and im gonna ring them tomorrow and find out. at least have finally had all my passwords and secret answers and art id thru - 3 separate letters all in the same post, looking identical!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)

I applied for an INCOME assessed loan, and they havent even got round to looking at that bit yet, and told me I wont even receive the assessment until into the uni term, let alone the payment.

They have just sent me this non-income assessed rubbish to make me think they are doing something. it's a waste of paper

ReputationRep:
    They had a lot of technical problems as well, apparently.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...282187,00.html

I have a grudge against them, anywho. Who ever heard of a Mr.Charlotte Elizabeth Rogers who just so happens to attend an all-girls school? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    I applied for an INCOME assessed loan, and they havent even got round to looking at that bit yet, and told me I wont even receive the assessment until into the uni term, let alone the payment.

They have just sent me this non-income assessed rubbish to make me think they are doing something. it's a waste of paper
    ahh sorry, didnt read the post properly. basically they've had a lot of problems and it really isnt worth getting worked up about as it wont help you get your loan any faster.

when do you start? all loans should be through by the beginning of october

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    It says that I owe tuition fees, when I know I wont have to pay them, so theres no way Im giving it to my uni as they'll send me a bill for tuition fees.

Anyone else had this happen to them? I can hand in the forms and get the minmum loan but I dont want a bill for tuition fees. Or, I can go without a loan for the first few weeks of uni, not have to pay the tuition fee, and wait for them to get their slow arses in gear and look at the form.

What a nightmare!
    your uni will know that you've been told that you have to pay tuition fees, regardless of wheather you have given them the piece of paper.

if you dont hand that form in, you wont be allowed to registair, and you wont be able to start uni. they wont enter you for you exams, you wont be alowed to use uni facilities.

your moaning at the fact that theres a problem with your loan but then your saying that your going to go without. surly its better to take what they're offering you now, and get the rest later. speak to the uni about the tuition fees problem, they may be able to offer you a solution.

love Katy ***
    i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    your uni will know that you've been told that you have to pay tuition fees, regardless of wheather you have given them the piece of paper.

if you dont hand that form in, you wont be allowed to registair, and you wont be able to start uni. they wont enter you for you exams, you wont be alowed to use uni facilities.

your moaning at the fact that theres a problem with your loan but then your saying that your going to go without. surly its better to take what they're offering you now, and get the rest later. speak to the uni about the tuition fees problem, they may be able to offer you a solution.

love Katy ***
    i
    Thanks. I suppose you're right about just taking what they're offering but I really don't see why they couldnt have got in gear after all that time. Someone said they could be 'waiting further information from me' but why dont they jsut ask me for it rather than right to me saying they need it without specifying what?
    I hope the uni will be able to relax on the tuition fees issue because out of the minimum loan I simply dont have the money for the fees and accommodation.

Sorry for moaning, I know it wont help the money get here any faster. It just seems like there's so many things to worry about with going to uni, and complications don't really help my nerves!

ReputationRep:
    I think they have had a few other forms from other students to deal with.

At least you are getting something at the start of term. Don't worry about the fees the uni will send you an invoice but it will probably be sorted out before then. You won't be the only one.

Oh the person who asked about the £40.00. Explain the situation to them and if they don't let you off then ask for an award from the "access to learning fund" to cover this - oh and ask for a bit more as well.

ReputationRep:
    Just got my loan info through- I will be getting £3070 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    KCL said they expect the Student Loans Company and LEAs experiencing a backlog to just give everybody the minimum 75% of the loan, and then deal with everything else in due course.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.