Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Please help politics a level! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    Basically, I really want to take politics a level next year. My current options are Chemistry, Biology and Music. I'm thinking of changing Music to Politics. A couple weeks ago, the people who put down politics as their options went and had a meeting with the politics teacher. She said that people with history will have an advantage. I only studies history up to KS3 so i basically have no idea about it. Politics really interests me and i even wrote a whole essay on brexit just for fun- yes thats how sad i am! What do you think? Shall i do it even though i don't do history? It's a bit annoying because i really love music and unfortunately due to our schools systems, i can only take one out of music or politics. Such a pain! Any advice is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I don't take history, I'm an A* grade politics student at A2. Yes learning history helps but tbh you can get by just fine without it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianna123x)
    x
    Moved to 'A-levels', you should get better responses here!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    Basically, I really want to take politics a level next year. My current options are Chemistry, Biology and Music. I'm thinking of changing Music to Politics. A couple weeks ago, the people who put down politics as their options went and had a meeting with the politics teacher. She said that people with history will have an advantage. I only studies history up to KS3 so i basically have no idea about it. Politics really interests me and i even wrote a whole essay on brexit just for fun- yes thats how sad i am! What do you think? Shall i do it even though i don't do history? It's a bit annoying because i really love music and unfortunately due to our schools systems, i can only take one out of music or politics. Such a pain! Any advice is appreciated!
    From personal experience, teachers are not always right. Your teacher saying history is advantageous definitely is not right,I know so many people in my class and other schools that do history without politics.

Politics is present day, very recent.
    History is History.

Take politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    From personal experience, teachers are not always right. Your teacher saying history is advantageous definitely is not right,I know so many people in my class and other schools that do history without politics.

Politics is present day, very recent.
    History is History.

Take politics
    Do you think politics is a better option over music, even though I've never studied it before?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think politics is a better option over music, even though I've never studied it before?
    Imo politics is better but I am biased as I study politics at AS

ReputationRep:
    I do politics and don't do History. I am predicted to get an A or A* so you definatley don't need history.

ReputationRep:
    Politics and History do interlink yes that is true. As a student of both subjects I can say that, but believe me it's useful yes but not such a big advantage that would show differences grade wise. what will help you extremely which is what you already have is interest and passion for the subject. You will exceed so well if you are actually interested in politics, I've even learnt that reading articles and watching the news is a much better revision source than the revision guide itself. Go for it, you love it believe me.

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.