Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm having to decide between a 3 year Beng at Bristol and 4 year Meng at Bath but keep going in circles trying to decide. I'm an international student and unfortunately couldn't visit but from what I have heard is that Bristol is sort of like a city while Bath is a smaller countryside town. Coming from a place in the middle of the nowhere, I'm not sure if I could get used to another 4 years in the countryside. What makes it worse is that being a sportful person, an on-campus 400m track and 50m swimming pool at Bath makes me aroused. Please help!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob6474)
    Hey guys,
    I'm having to decide between a 3 year Beng at Bristol and 4 year Meng at Bath but keep going in circles trying to decide. I'm an international student and unfortunately couldn't visit but from what I have heard is that Bristol is sort of like a city while Bath is a smaller countryside town. Coming from a place in the middle of the nowhere, I'm not sure if I could get used to another 4 years in the countryside. What makes it worse is that being a sportful person, an on-campus 400m track and 50m swimming pool at Bath makes me aroused. Please help!!!
    You can switch between BEng and MEng quite freely at university, providing you have the grades. If you'd rather live in a bigger city, then I think Bristol is probably the better option, although also check out the courses, too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob6474)
    Hi.

Somehow I have had the opportunity to visit both towns and the universities even though I do not study at either.

Bristol is a medium-large sized city and definitely has a city feel to it towards the town centre (where the main campus is based). However, as soon as you begin moving outwards from the city centre, the surroundings very quickly become of the rural sort. Here, the general feel of the place is very peaceful and fairly quiet. There's a lot of housing development in these outskirt areas with a lot of money currently being invested into the Bristol area.

From an academic point of view, the University of Bristol is definitely better than the University of Bath for engineering - Bath is not a bad university by any stretch however. Bristol has a deep engineering history and the strength of the engineering faculty is somewhat representative of this. A lot of major engineering companies have bases in Bristol, which is of course favourable when applying for summer internships/year in industries/graduate schemes.

The City of Bath is a UNESCO World Heritage site due to the Roman architecture which defines the city. At the town centre, there is a large cluster of high street shops e.g. McDonalds, Apple, Marks and Spencer, so do not have the impression that Bath is in the middle of nowhere. Most students live within a reasonable distance of the town centre and it most definitely will not feel like a countryside town. If you do decide to live a bit further away from the town centre, then yes the whole feel of the place is extremely countryside i.e. sheep roaming in the fields.

As I've said, the University of Bath probably isn't as good as the University of Bristol for an engineering undergraduate but they are within the same order of magnitude. You've mentioned the sports facilities at Bath and I have to say that they are stunning. A Olympic sized swimming pool is just not what you expect a university to have. The personal highlight for me is the set of 8 indoor tennis courts they have in the same room without the multipurpose scribbled floor marking i.e. a giant sized room solely for tennis!

Overall, I would say that if you are dead keen on engineering and/or prefer the city lifestyle then go to Bristol, otherwise head to Bath.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasedtobeatyou)
    From an academic point of view, the University of Bristol is definitely better than the University of Bath for engineering - Bath is not a bad university by any stretch however. Bristol has a deep engineering history and the strength of the engineering faculty is somewhat representative of this. A lot of major engineering companies have bases in Bristol, which is of course favourable when applying for summer internships/year in industries/graduate schemes.
    That's not true at all, they're considered to be on an equal par for engineering, which is part of why people usually only apply to one of them. Also Bath is just as close to those major engineering companies as Bristol is so you get the same industrial advantage, arguably more so as Bath really pushes people towards doing a year in industry, although UWE probably pulls ahead even further in that regard.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    That's not true at all, they're considered to be on an equal par for engineering, which is part of why people usually only apply to one of them.
    This is a non sequitur. I'm sure if students were given the opportunity to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge they would do so.

Although I do agree with you that Bristol and Bath are roughly on par for engineering at undergraduate level. The University of Bath has a very good engineering department. This is something I mentioned in my previous post. And yes, they are located very close to each other and Bristol has only a small advantage in this sense. However it is worth pointing out that the engineering giants are actually located in Bristol and not Bath e.g. Rolls Royce, BAE Systems, Airbus.

It is just my opinion that Bristol has more of an engineering niche to it compared to other universities - similar to Warwick and Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasedtobeatyou)
    This is a non sequitur. I'm sure if students were given the opportunity to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge they would do so.

Although I do agree with you that Bristol and Bath are roughly on par for engineering at undergraduate level. The University of Bath has a very good engineering department. This is something I mentioned in my previous post. And yes, they are located very close to each other and Bristol has only a small advantage in this sense. However it is worth pointing out that the engineering giants are actually located in Bristol and not Bath e.g. Rolls Royce, BAE Systems, Airbus.

It is just my opinion that Bristol has more of an engineering niche to it compared to other universities - similar to Warwick and Mathematics.
    Not really, they're different situations, while Oxford and Cambridge are similar locations the same can't be applied to the medium sized city that is Bristol and the relatively tiny village of Bath. Most people don't find both to fit them equally and will generally strongly tend towards one.

I think you're trying way too hard with this location point, it makes effectively no difference. I go to Sheffield and Airbus Filton recruits a significant proportion of us each year, hundreds of miles away, so a few extra minutes drive to Bath is going to make no difference.

Bath has a much higher proportion of and more engineering students than Bristol, started off as a technology college, so your point here favours Bath more than Bristol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.