Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am one of the founding members of a new university sports society and we are hoping to have the cheapest beer we can have, making a good place to get away from the extortionate drink prices in my city. Does anyone have any advice on how we could get some cheap beer? Bulk buying kegs from a wholesaler? Maybe making our own? Please help. Desperate students are depending on you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Cheapest way is brewing your own from a kit. Making your own recipes is more fun but requires a fairly big startup cost. A kit, fermenting barrel and brewing sugar all in you can do for 45 quid, get about 40 pints out of it, and after that it's kit, brewing sugar - about 25 quid per 40 pints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S3DG3)
    I am one of the founding members of a new university sports society and we are hoping to have the cheapest beer we can have, making a good place to get away from the extortionate drink prices in my city. Does anyone have any advice on how we could get some cheap beer? Bulk buying kegs from a wholesaler? Maybe making our own? Please help. Desperate students are depending on you!
    Haha don't make your own beer it will probably taste gross ... take a trip to Jersey I think it's duty free there (it's not very far) ... you can drive there and come back with a load of beer in your car that's tax free x

ReputationRep:
    nycccc Post
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by abc_123_)
    Haha don't make your own beer it will probably taste gross
    Not true at all. You get one of those kits from places like wilkinsons, they're essentially idiot proof. If you're making it from scratch to your own recipe, granted there's a learning curve to get the taste you want, but it's not that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc_123_)
    Haha don't make your own beer it will probably taste gross ... take a trip to Jersey I think it's duty free there (it's not very far) ... you can drive there and come back with a load of beer in your car that's tax free x
    Ever done it?
    It's good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Ever done it?
    It's good.
    Haha no but my granddad does it xx he keeps telling me he'll take me

ReputationRep:
    Other than brewing your own. Supermarket deals on cans are the cheapest. Cheaper than buying from a wholesaler.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.