Romeo and Juliet the Nurse analysis please help

Watch
username1987655
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi can anyone give me some A* analysis points for the nurse or point out the effectiveness of certain words please?
"by my maidenhead at twelve year old”
– “What, lamb! What, ladybird!”
“I pray thee hold thy peace.”
‘in a fool’s paradise’;
“No faith, no honesty in men"
Thou wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit"
"I am the drudge, and toil in your delight, / But you shall bear the burden soon at night."
go girl seek happy nights and days
rebeccahurstt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
she tells juilet that romeo is "courteous, kind and handsome" to make it acceptable to juilet to dive into the marriage. word "courteous" links to context cos shes almost justifying the sinful act by saying hes a well bred, rich man (and talk about context blah blah). she also says "hence to friar lawerances cell to become a wife", word "hence" is telling juilet to rush into marrying romeo without thinking about it. And then, I know this isn't a typical interpretation but you can use the nurses quotes of "he is dead,or it is as good as he twas" and "I think it best if you marry county", to portray her more as the villain, because after pressuring juilet to marry romeo, shes completely betrayed her and pressuring her to commit even more sin by marrying twice (talk about theme of religion and going to hell if you sin ect). And for a level 8 answer, go on to say an alternate interpretation that maybe the nurse spotted her mistake with helping juilet marry romeo and defy the law an her parents and so her "betraying" juilet is acc just her trying to help and she can see what might happen if juilet sticks on the romeo path. You could then back that with her reaction after juilets death "my child, my only life" as like shes realised that maybe it was acc her fault for the deaths because she encourages it and is overcome with guilt.
username1987655
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by rebeccahurstt)
she tells juilet that romeo is "courteous, kind and handsome" to make it acceptable to juilet to dive into the marriage. word "courteous" links to context cos shes almost justifying the sinful act by saying hes a well bred, rich man (and talk about context blah blah). she also says "hence to friar lawerances cell to become a wife", word "hence" is telling juilet to rush into marrying romeo without thinking about it. And then, I know this isn't a typical interpretation but you can use the nurses quotes of "he is dead,or it is as good as he twas" and "I think it best if you marry county", to portray her more as the villain, because after pressuring juilet to marry romeo, shes completely betrayed her and pressuring her to commit even more sin by marrying twice (talk about theme of religion and going to hell if you sin ect). And for a level 8 answer, go on to say an alternate interpretation that maybe the nurse spotted her mistake with helping juilet marry romeo and defy the law an her parents and so her "betraying" juilet is acc just her trying to help and she can see what might happen if juilet sticks on the romeo path. You could then back that with her reaction after juilets death "my child, my only life" as like shes realised that maybe it was acc her fault for the deaths because she encourages it and is overcome with guilt.
Thank you so much, this will help with my year 10 end of year exam , do you have anything for any other main characters by any chance or themes like fate ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.6%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.51%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.62%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
26.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.34%

Watched Threads