Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

3 Realistic, 1 Aspirational, 1 Insurance choice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So our careers advisors apparently tell you to pick your five uni choices using the mindset of 1 Aspirational choice, 3 realistic and 1 that you're pretty certain you could get into easuily- fairly self explanatory I think. I'm applying in 2018- is this a good way to do it? People who've applied to uni, advice much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catherineoxley12)
    So our careers advisors apparently tell you to pick your five uni choices using the mindset of 1 Aspirational choice, 3 realistic and 1 that you're pretty certain you could get into easuily- fairly self explanatory I think. I'm applying in 2018- is this a good way to do it? People who've applied to uni, advice much appreciated
    Id say 1 aspirational 2 in line with your predicted grades and 1 just below and 1 quite below your predicted. A lot of people in my year have received unconditional offers with crappy AS grades. I guess thats the advantage of applying for a relatively low uni.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't do what I did, which is 3 aspirational and 2 realistic. You'll regret it XD.
    2 realistic 2 aspirational and one insurance is the way I'd approach it in hindsight, but make sure your insurance is something you can almost guarantee you'll get. My insurance is AAA this year, biggest mistake I've made, and it's been panicking me for the past couple of months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catherineoxley12)
    I haven't already applied because I'm currently going through the process but I'm doing this as well, it makes sense because if you go for all top and don't get the grades you wouldn't have a fallback - like if you went for all lower and got higher grades you wouldn't have any higher offers. One aspirational and one insurance with the others in the middle means you can aim high without having the stress of having to get all highest grades to get in full stop ^-^

I'd recommend if you go down this route to look at all the courses and unis you apply for very carefully though, as you should aim to be happy going to any one of them, depending on your grades ^-^

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.