Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Who or what got you into history?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any particular historical event or historical figure that got you interested in history?

For me, it was specifically 2 people: Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Anne Boleyn (incidentally it's Anne Boleyn's execution anniversary today, sob sob). Strangely, both of their roles in the Reformation opened my eyes into the differences in Christianity. Also, they were both stunning figures in a world dominated by men. Even after reading I must say around 50+ books on them, I still love reading about them.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a good idea for a thread! :love:

The only historical link I can think of is being absolutely obsessed with Bosworth Battle Field when I was a kid, and visiting all the time which did peak my interest in history in general. For me otherwise, I just like acquiring knowledge, and learning weird and wonderful facts in general - history is full of both, which is a win for me.

ReputationRep:
    Learning about the Tudors in year 4 :moon:

But since then I've veered much more towards the Plantagenets..

ReputationRep:
    Watching a programme called Time Team with my Dad from about the age of 5. Archaeologists would go to sites around the UK and have 3 days to dig it, they usually always 'found' interesting stuff, did historical reconstructions, tried out ancient and medieval food, drink, technology, fashion. Watching it again now it has some flaws, but they covered so many different time periods and places, and with the format revolving around there being a time limit, it was pretty exciting. I used to go and dig up the garden to see what ancient relics, swords and jewellery, Roman mosaics etc. I could find (sadly, just snails) They really introduced archaeology to a mainstream audience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Find_elsewhere)
    Watching a programme called Time Team with my Dad from about the age of 5. Archaeologists would go to sites around the UK and have 3 days to dig it, they usually always 'found' interesting stuff, did historical reconstructions, tried out ancient and medieval food, drink, technology, fashion. Watching it again now it has some flaws, but they covered so many different time periods and places, and with the format revolving around there being a time limit, it was pretty exciting. I used to go and dig up the garden to see what ancient relics, swords and jewellery, Roman mosaics etc. I could find (sadly, just snails) They really introduced archaeology to a mainstream audience.
    Time Team was my favourite thing to watch on a Sunday before our dinner :love:

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.