Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Who or what got you into history? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Is there any particular historical event or historical figure that got you interested in history?

For me, it was specifically 2 people: Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Anne Boleyn (incidentally it's Anne Boleyn's execution anniversary today, sob sob). Strangely, both of their roles in the Reformation opened my eyes into the differences in Christianity. Also, they were both stunning figures in a world dominated by men. Even after reading I must say around 50+ books on them, I still love reading about them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    This is such a good idea for a thread! :love:

The only historical link I can think of is being absolutely obsessed with Bosworth Battle Field when I was a kid, and visiting all the time which did peak my interest in history in general. For me otherwise, I just like acquiring knowledge, and learning weird and wonderful facts in general - history is full of both, which is a win for me.

ReputationRep:
    Learning about the Tudors in year 4 :moon:

But since then I've veered much more towards the Plantagenets..

ReputationRep:
    Watching a programme called Time Team with my Dad from about the age of 5. Archaeologists would go to sites around the UK and have 3 days to dig it, they usually always 'found' interesting stuff, did historical reconstructions, tried out ancient and medieval food, drink, technology, fashion. Watching it again now it has some flaws, but they covered so many different time periods and places, and with the format revolving around there being a time limit, it was pretty exciting. I used to go and dig up the garden to see what ancient relics, swords and jewellery, Roman mosaics etc. I could find (sadly, just snails) They really introduced archaeology to a mainstream audience.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Find_elsewhere)
    Watching a programme called Time Team with my Dad from about the age of 5. Archaeologists would go to sites around the UK and have 3 days to dig it, they usually always 'found' interesting stuff, did historical reconstructions, tried out ancient and medieval food, drink, technology, fashion. Watching it again now it has some flaws, but they covered so many different time periods and places, and with the format revolving around there being a time limit, it was pretty exciting. I used to go and dig up the garden to see what ancient relics, swords and jewellery, Roman mosaics etc. I could find (sadly, just snails) They really introduced archaeology to a mainstream audience.
    Time Team was my favourite thing to watch on a Sunday before our dinner :love:

ReputationRep:
    William Wallace.

ReputationRep:
    my history teacher in year 7-9 who made us reenact battles on the field, horrible histories and Tudor England. Unfortunately I didnt take it for GCSE but I am still so interested in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Is there any particular historical event or historical figure that got you interested in history?

For me, it was specifically 2 people: Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Anne Boleyn (incidentally it's Anne Boleyn's execution anniversary today, sob sob). Strangely, both of their roles in the Reformation opened my eyes into the differences in Christianity. Also, they were both stunning figures in a world dominated by men. Even after reading I must say around 50+ books on them, I still love reading about them.
    Not gonna lie it was probably Horrible Histories. It made learning History very enjoyable, and it covered topics I personally enjoyed like the two world wars.

Now I'm indecisive whether or not to take History onto A-level. I have already applied for the A level course but I accidentally picked 4 not 3, so I'm most likely gonna drop either History or Accounting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bliminheck)
    Not gonna lie it was probably Horrible Histories. It made learning History very enjoyable, and it covered topics I personally enjoyed like the two world wars.

Now I'm indecisive whether or not to take History onto A-level. I have already applied for the A level course but I accidentally picked 4 not 3, so I'm most likely gonna drop either History or Accounting.
    Horrible Histories is the best. I love it :yep: I know most of the songs.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't really a particular historical event or figure that developed my passion for History. As a child, my family would always take my to museums whilst on holiday, which piqued my interest in History. Then, I began watching Horrible Histories which made me interest in history develop further. I used to have a great interest in the Victorians and ancient civilisations such as the Ancient Egyptians and the Celts. Now, I seem to have a fascination with the Tudor dynasty and also with Chinese, Japanese and Korean history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The World at War TV series, broadcast in the early 1970s when I was about 13 certainly focussed my thoughts on history, as did a lot of children's magazines like Look and Learn before that. Its impact was probably greater as Vietnam tended to feature in most news broadcasts, and of course we only had two TV channels so the news could not be avoided by flicking to a channel with perpetual Friends.

After that it was being kicked out of Latin at school (I was 19th= out of a class of 20) and taking both Economic History and History to O grade.
    At school covering European history in fifth year, renaissance, reformation, counter reformation was a joy after the turgid Factory Acts, Gladstone's first ministry etc of third and fourth year, they were a trudge in chronological order through the 19th century ,pretty dry. At least economic history added far more breadth and vision and helped with a bigger picture viewpoint, without it I might have given up on history.

The military obsession lessened as I got older, partially by being exposed to wider history at university, this spawned an interest in earlier history re say The Romans (I Claudius being one prime mover in that direction), Middle Ages, Wars of the Roses and Thirty years war (partly back to military history but so much more).

These days it is having a house full of books (my wife studied history and politics so two of us acquiring) which allows me to walk through to a room with several hundred books on history and usually find one she has bought that catches my eye- American westward expansion, Lewis and Clark, similar add depth to areas I had covered at University (American History 2 course), similarly Watergate is an area where I have immersed myself (All the President' Men having been watched 4-5 times)

Even something like the TV series "Vikings" had me looking at Anglo Saxon history books for a period.

The great thing about history is it can be read for study and exams and also for pleasure, the difference mainly being with the latter I tend not to read at a desk with a notepad and pen at my right hand side. (I expect you all have a laptop)

Now just need to wait for the fifth (and final) volume of Jonathon Sumption's multi volume history of the 100 Years War, my traditional summer holiday read but looks like will now have to wait until 2018 or later.

ReputationRep:
    I think I love history because I loves stories and history is one big story. I don't think there was an event or figure that got me into history but I do remember being fascinated by the Roman army.

ReputationRep:
    The brave stand a certain Gaulish tribe made against Caesar and the Roman Empire in the region of Armorica in 50BC, despite the fall of Gaul at the battle of Alesia. An inspiring example of defiance in the face of tyranny and oppression, even if their fish wasn't always fresh.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.