Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am a first year student in the Netherlands, however I plan to move to the UK, after I finish my first year as I don't like what I am studying here and for a lot of other reasons. However, I would like to ask if I would be eligible for a student loan as someone told me that if I was in University before I can't apply for a student loan again? Is this true and what should I do?

Thank you, best regards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripton)
    Hello,
    I am a first year student in the Netherlands, however I plan to move to the UK, after I finish my first year as I don't like what I am studying here and for a lot of other reasons. However, I would like to ask if I would be eligible for a student loan as someone told me that if I was in University before I can't apply for a student loan again? Is this true and what should I do?

Thank you, best regards!
    No that's not true.

Students do have a limited entitlement to Student Finance, but you still have enough remaining to get the Tuition Fee Loan for the entirety of a new degree. The calculation is:

Number of years of your new degree (minus) Number of years you've previously spent at uni (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement

If you start a new three year degree in the U.K., this gives you 3-1+1=3 years of remaining entitlement.

As I'm sure you are already aware, you would not qualify for a Maintenance Loan unless you live in the U.K. for five full years before your degree starts.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh oh, that makes sense. Thank you. Just to be clear, this is what the University website says:

"As long as you have not been to University before and meet the residency rules both full and part-time students are eligible to apply for tuition fee loans."

Thia is from the University website (Liverpool John Moores University). You are sure it won't be a problem to change and get a student loan?

Thanks you again!
    Best regards!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh oh, that makes sense. Thank you. Just to be clear, this is what the University website says:

"As long as you have not been to University before and meet the residency rules both full and part-time students are eligible to apply for tuition fee loans."

Thia is from the University website (Liverpool John Moores University). You are sure it won't be a problem to change and get a student loan?

Thanks you again!
    Best regards!
    As long as you have been resident in the EU and you've only done one year at uni before, then you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the fast and complete answer! I appreciate it!
    • Very Important Poster

Thank you so much for the fast and complete answer! I appreciate it!
    Just to confirm you have enough finance left for a full degree, but no gift year, which means you cant afford to change your mind and will have to get your choice right. Fees only, so no maintenance..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.