Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    if you had to recommend one book to a physicist which would you suggest? i dont mean a casual reading book i mean something heavy like for example Feynman Lectures or Michael Spivak Calculus. how did this book help you and what doors did it open for you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'll paste what I put in a similar thread:

Forces of Nature - Brian Cox & Andrew Cohen
    very nice easy read! Has some complicated concepts that get easily explained and also appear on the A level course. Every complicated concept is easily explained by other things you can imagine more easily - like the reason why some planets are circular and asteroids aren't are compared to human towers. There's also a TV series with this, but the book goes into much more detail.

How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog - Chad Orzel
    Exactly how it sounds. Very easy to understand some of the most tricky concepts in physics! Also uses a lot of simple things to explain complicated concepts. For example, the wave nature of light is described as a stream of water into a dog's bowl, and the particle nature is described as kibble being put into it (representing the photons). It's all put in a very humorous way between the author and his dog. It's a wonderful book and inspired me to read more books on physics! (NB: He has another book, 'How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog', which I've ordered for christmas.)

A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
    This sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is! Everything is surprisingly simply explained - one of the reasons why it sold so well! It's a wonderful read and I'd definitely recommend it. Ties in nicely with the other books above as well, ie it kind of reinforced my knowledge of the concepts covered in the books previously mentioned.

Others I have ordered so far:
    Brian Greene - The Elegant Universe
    Lawrence M Krauss - A Universe From Nothing
    Brian Cox - Why does E=MC2?
    Brian Cox & Andrew Cohen - The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.