The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL AS ENGLISH LITERATURE (POETRY & DRAMA) - 19th MAY 2017

Heey Guys!

Just wanted to see how people found the exam today! I'm surprised there's not already a thread for this- this is only for people who have done the Edexcel course, so A Streetcar Named Desire and Poems of the decade.

The poetry questions were:

Compare how the poets explore what we inherit from the past in 'Inheritance' and a poem of your choice.

Compare how the poets explore identity in 'Look We Have Coming Dover!' and a poem of your choice.

The Drama question was:

Something about feeling no sympathy towards Stanley. How does Williams present the character of Stanley in ASCND?

Other question was about the effects of past events.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CarefreeDreams
Heey Guys!

Just wanted to see how people found the exam today! I'm surprised there's not already a thread for this- this is only for people who have done the Edexcel course, so A Streetcar Named Desire and Poems of the decade.

Compare how the poets explore what we inherit from the past in 'Inheritance' and a poem of your choice.

Compare how the poets explore identity in 'Look We Have Coming Dover!' and a poem of your choice.

The Drama question was:

Something about feeling no sympathy towards Stanley. How does Williams present the character of Stanley in ASCND?

Im confused, I also did this exam today, but are you talking about the international one? because i did that one and got a question on Out of the Bag and Song, and I t was poetry and prose, with the kite runner, so i suppose it was a different exam right?
Original post by siimiivb
Im confused, I also did this exam today, but are you talking about the international one? because i did that one and got a question on Out of the Bag and Song, and I t was poetry and prose, with the kite runner, so i suppose it was a different exam right?

Yeah we must have done different exams then. I don't think we're international, I live in the UK. Where do you live?
Reply 3
I live in Spain, so yes different exam papers. My questions were:
Song ( express a political viewpoint ) so I compared jt ti Guiseppe
Out of the bag (explore a sense of place) but i hate that poem, so i chose song instead, but in general i found the quetions weird
Ahh I chose to compare the poem by Nagra to Eat Me. For Streetcar I did the question on Stanley. I feel as though I did better in poetry in comparison to drama, which is annoying because drama is worth more marks soo -_-
Hopefully I can make up for this in the prose exam on Wednesday. Hbu & everyone else??
Reply 5
This so weird, my next exam is also on wednesday, on othello and streetcar, so if you had Stanley and past come uo, i doubt those will come up in my exam. Which prose text did you do?
This so weird, my next exam is also on wednesday, on othello and streetcar, so if you had Stanley and past come uo, i doubt those will come up in my exam. Which prose text did you do?

My Prose text for Wednesday is A Thousand Splendid Suns and Wuthering Heights. I'm absolutely dreading Prose :frown:

Wby?
Original post by sunshinehss
Ahh I chose to compare the poem by Nagra to Eat Me. For Streetcar I did the question on Stanley. I feel as though I did better in poetry in comparison to drama, which is annoying because drama is worth more marks soo -_-
Hopefully I can make up for this in the prose exam on Wednesday. Hbu & everyone else??

Yeah I was gonna do the Nagra poem to either Eat Me or A Leisure, but I chose Inheritance and compared it to Genetics instead.
I live in Spain, so yes different exam papers. My questions were:
Song ( express a political viewpoint ) so I compared jt ti Guiseppe
Out of the bag (explore a sense of place) but i hate that poem, so i chose song instead, but in general i found the quetions weird

Yeah if I had that question, I would have probably done exactly what you did. Maybe might have even compared it to The Deliever as its about infanticide.

I don't mind Out of The Bag anymore, but 'a sense of place' what the heck would you compare that to? History? Furthest Distance?
Reply 9
Yeah if I had that question, I would have probably done exactly what you did. Maybe might have even compared it to The Deliever as its about infanticide.

I don't mind Out of The Bag anymore, but 'a sense of place' what the heck would you compare that to? History? Furthest Distance?

I know!! It was so weird!!!
My Prose text for Wednesday is A Thousand Splendid Suns and Wuthering Heights. I'm absolutely dreading Prose :frown:

Wby?

Mine si drama and i want ti just do it ti get it over with. I have maths c2 the same day thoughπŸ˜–
Mine si drama and i want ti just do it ti get it over with. I have maths c2 the same day thoughπŸ˜–

Yeah I have maths C2 as well same day! I'm dreading it!
Would anybody be able to tell me what the supernatural question was in the prose paper please??
Reply 13
false

Heey Guys!

The Drama question was:

btw what did you get in as english lit?
Original post by hd...
false

btw what did you get in as english lit?

Hey, sorry for the lack of reply. Uni can be crazy busy, but I'm on a break now.

For AS English Lit I got C, but for my A2 I got A :smile: It was a crazy year for AS, I just didn't like the teachers way of teaching and I was constantly getting C's and D's leading me to be very demotivated. Changed my attitude, changed my approach to English Lit in general, got a new teacher and was getting A's and A*'s for my final year.
Reply 15
Hey, sorry for the lack of reply. Uni can be crazy busy, but I'm on a break now.

For AS English Lit I got C, but for my A2 I got A :smile: It was a crazy year for AS, I just didn't like the teachers way of teaching and I was constantly getting C's and D's leading me to be very demotivated. Changed my attitude, changed my approach to English Lit in general, got a new teacher and was getting A's and A*'s for my final year.

Did you revise for AS?
Original post by hd...
Did you revise for AS?

Yes I did revise, but not in the right where. I was doing revision that may as well have been me not doing revision.
Reply 17
Yes I did revise, but not in the right where. I was doing revision that may as well have been me not doing revision.

oh you're making me scared... urgh!!!
Reply 18
Original post by sunshinehss

what did you get?
Original post by hd...
oh you're making me scared... urgh!!!

There’s no need to be scared lol. In terms of revising for AS English I treated it like GCSE and did the bare minimum. For AS I realised you need to do a lot more than that. Knowing the texts and its themes, motifs and having evidence is not enough anymore. You gotta do more.

Quick Reply

Latest