Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA AS English Literature-Love Through the Ages: Shakespeare and Poetry 19th May 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the "love through the ages paper: shakespeare and poetry"?
    I did Othello and for the poem "The Ruined Maid" by Thomas Hardy. I found the
    extract for Othello really hard to identify the type of love so wrote about romantic
    love however I don't think this was right? Also I compared Othello to Macbeth and
    said they were manipulated easily by "greed and jealousy" which I then linked to
    morality plays and the 7 deadly sins.

For poetry I wrote against the view, and said that Hardy was a realist and the poem was mocking Victorian attitudes towards love, and how they surpressed ideas of
    prostitution. I then compared the animal imagery of "paws" to "who so list to hunt"
    by Thomas Wyatt where he says that Anne is a deer- this is degrading, as well as
    comparing to Othello in which he is called a "black ram". I then linked this back to a critcal quote in which someone ( I can't remember who!) said he was "pessimistic"
    however I disagreed to and said Hardy was portraying life for how it truly was, even though sounding negative he shined light on the lives of poor lower class people.

What did everyone else put? I have no idea if this okay but oh well..

ReputationRep:
    I disagreed with the view, saying that Hardy was mocking the Victorians and that how can the life of love and luxury be better when the world views the women as "ruined". I compared it to The flea by john donne, saying how theyre both about the physical aspect of sex, there is no love from the men. I think you've done well, comparing to Who so list by Wyatt seems pretty solid. I also said that Hardy is being judgemental over the Victorians and I linked this with remember by Christina rosetti as she was also Victorian and was critical.

In my Othello essay I didn't compare with other Shakespeare plays bc I don't know others well enough to do so. I didn't find the extract that hard, I wrote how he is confused as Iago is so easily manipulating him, showing how Othello doesn't have a strong mind. Romantic love seems right to me, I wrote about his love for Desdemona. You seem like you did pretty good tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbington235)
    I disagreed with the view, saying that Hardy was mocking the Victorians and that how can the life of love and luxury be better when the world views the women as "ruined". I compared it to The flea by john donne, saying how theyre both about the physical aspect of sex, there is no love from the men. I think you've done well, comparing to Who so list by Wyatt seems pretty solid. I also said that Hardy is being judgemental over the Victorians and I linked this with remember by Christina rosetti as she was also Victorian and was critical.

In my Othello essay I didn't compare with other Shakespeare plays bc I don't know others well enough to do so. I didn't find the extract that hard, I wrote how he is confused as Iago is so easily manipulating him, showing how Othello doesn't have a strong mind. Romantic love seems right to me, I wrote about his love for Desdemona. You seem like you did pretty good tho
    Thank you! This has reassured me!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 20, 2017
Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.