Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Primary education (7-11) with QTS Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Acceptance rate. What grades did people get in with if they were below? And why? Was it experience or good interview etc ?
    Any one else applied or accepted their offer too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouiseHayden)
    Acceptance rate. What grades did people get in with if they were below? And why? Was it experience or good interview etc ?
    Any one else applied or accepted their offer too?
    In my experience (as a second year student), the university is really welcoming and supportive when it comes to missing grades, or applying through clearing.

I applied through clearing as I didn't get the grades for my firm and insurance choices, and I'm really happy that I did. The person I spoke to wanted to hear about why I was passionate about the course and what other experience I'd had which had led me to apply. She was very positive about the grades I'd achieved unlike other universities, and my sixth form. It was a really positive experience actually.

A couple of my flatmates were in similar situations to me. I know people here who did not get the grades they were offered by Hallam; however, the university understood that they had more to offer than just their grades as they had enthusiasm for their course that they showed in their personal statement, and they sometimes had other experiences and practical skills which they could apply to the course.

My advice would be not to worry - even if you don't get your grades, Hallam appreciates your skills, passion and experiences as well as just your results. If you do get a little lower, I believe that Hallam would be fairly flexible if they had the places. But if you find that you don't get in, I would suggest ringing up for clearing anyway, as it would give you a chance to explain your enthusiasm for the course and why you believe you would suit Sheffield Hallam, and show them why they should take you.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.