Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I have failed at 40 job interviews now. How on earth do I get the strength to continu

Before qualifying in my field I walked into jobs and had never failed at interview. Now I just cannot seem to be successful no matter how well I do. The jobs always go to temporary workers known to the interviewers.

I have another interview next week. I have no idea how to pick myself up to the extent that I could even speak never mind perform well. Any ideas on how to cope? Anyone else in the same boat?

ReputationRep:
    Which industry? It sounds unlikely you walked into jobs pre-qualification and can't land 1/40 post-qualification.

Social Work. I did support worker roles and got every one I went for. Now, no matter how I do I never get the job. Feedback is always very good and that I came second or close to it.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever tried asking for feedback after a failed interview?

Edit: Sorry, just seen your above post. Have you tried asking why the other candidates got the job over you?

ReputationRep:
    cah you ain't getting a job without continuing to try?

You dont really give a lot of useful information.
    On the big plus side you have done amazingly well to get 40 interviews.
    They dont invite you if they dont think you have the potential on paper to do the job.

You sound traumatised and shellshocked. If its that bad then it can stay with you and you could take this from one interview to the next.

Whats your careers adviser say?
    How many test interviews have you done?
    How much feedback have you gotten?
    How good do you think you are at interview?

Part of it you can get through by bluffing and being the ideal person for the day, but you still have to know what to do. If you come across as desperate, defensive, angry or withdrawn, then you have a problem.

Just go on Amazon and pick up some of the good books on jobhunting or interviewing. You need to calm down and build up your confidence and restore some self belief. If you really want the job then you can pick yourself up and try your best. Probably keep it simple and be the person they want.

I do well in interview now. I started off awful but have improved. I miss out because the jobs go to agency workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Before qualifying in my field I walked into jobs and had never failed at interview. Now I just cannot seem to be successful no matter how well I do. The jobs always go to temporary workers known to the interviewers.

I have another interview next week. I have no idea how to pick myself up to the extent that I could even speak never mind perform well. Any ideas on how to cope? Anyone else in the same boat?

One of my lecturers said a girl from my course a couple of years ago, applied NINETY times to ITN before she was successful.

Don't give up hope! Perseverance Is key!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    One of my lecturers said a girl from my course a couple of years ago, applied NINETY times to ITN before she was successful.

Don't give up hope! Perseverance Is key!
    I had 70+ applications before I secured my placement role. Not at the same company, mind you.

(Original post by UWS)
    I had 70+ applications before I secured my placement role. Not at the same company, mind you.
    How many interviews did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    How many interviews did you go to?
    Oh wow it must have been a lot. 20 at least.

I realised after the first 15 or so, my interview technique was all over the place. I did not research the company enough and didn't know about the role in enough detail. You need to be interested enough so the interviewer thinks you are taking it seriously. It might sound like complacency from your end, just because you have qualifications, doesn't mean it's going to guarantee a job. I suggest you look up interview tips and prepare a lot for your next interview.

Here's a good place to start:
    https://theinterviewguys.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Ah - hers were all to the same company so god knows how many on top of that she made!

I do well in interview now. I started off awful but have improved. I miss out because the jobs go to agency workers.
    If you are coming second, then its only a few tweaks and you will come first.

Agency workers cost more, but they might be a known quantity.

You can even address that in interview.

I got the job!!! I'm so incredibly happy

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 25, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.