Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I want help with getting a job around east London that pays decent money per hour ,i want a job that is on Saturdays for maximum 6 hours.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and i was only allowed to work 4 hours a day? Which is enough anyways! and im sorry you have to be 16+ to work in retail or care
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anyone who would employ you casually (cash in hand)? At that age I was doing a bit of painting and decorating, and various friends worked construction.

ReputationRep:
    You're 15...you're going to struggle finding a job paying a decent wage (even in London) when you're not even entitled to the minimum wage yet. A company could pay you £2.50 an hour if they wanted to..
    Surely it won't kill you to wait until you're 16?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 15 and I have been volunteering in a charity shop for a year

You don't have to be 16 to work in retail, but you can't use the till unaccompanied at 15. You could definitely work at the back of the shop though (sorting stock, putting stock out). That's the majority of my volunteer work (although I sometimes work at the till with other volunteers, but I doubt you'd do that in paying work).

In cafes/restaurants, you can work at the back too, doing cleaning etc.

My advice is to make a CV and drop it off at loads of shops/restaurants. That's what I did, although I was fussy (just wanted a holiday job but I didn't really need the money). Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    go to a pub n be a waiter
    u pick up bare girls too if u tell them ur the owners son hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diyan1127)
    I want help with getting a job around east London that pays decent money per hour ,i want a job that is on Saturdays for maximum 6 hours.
    Most places wont take you on until you are 16. Especially not the big chains.
    Plus you wont have a national insurance number either.
    You can do a paper round.
    Or maybe do dog walking, gardening etc for people.

Even when you are 16- good luck in finding something decent paying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastelx)
    I'm 15 and I have been volunteering in a charity shop for a year

You don't have to be 16 to work in retail, but you can't use the till unaccompanied at 15. You could definitely work at the back of the shop though (sorting stock, putting stock out). That's the majority of my volunteer work (although I sometimes work at the till with other volunteers, but I doubt you'd do that in paying work).

In cafes/restaurants, you can work at the back too, doing cleaning etc.

My advice is to make a CV and drop it off at loads of shops/restaurants. That's what I did, although I was fussy (just wanted a holiday job but I didn't really need the money). Good luck!
    To WORK in retail (and get paid for it) you need to be 16. You can volunteer from like 14 if you're in the right place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    To WORK in retail (and get paid for it) you need to be 16. You can volunteer from like 14 if you're in the right place...
    Oh? I dropped off my CV at around 3 or 4 shops are they said they would hold onto it but didn't need any new staff at the time?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.