Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Virasoro Operators, String Theory/ Quantum Theory/ Ghost state, dimension of s-t

ReputationRep:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question

(with the following definitions here in the attachment please)

- Consider L_0|x>=0 to show that m^2=\frac{1}{\alpha'}
    - Consider L_1|x>=0 to conclude that  1+A-2B=0

- where d is the dimension of the space d=\eta^{uv}\eta_{uv}

For the L1 operator I am able to get the correct expression of 1+A-2B=0

I am struggling with L0 Any help much appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

\alpha^u_0={p^u}\sqrt{2 \alpha'} \alpha_{n>0} annihilate \alpha_{n<0} create
     [\alpha_n^u, \alpha_m^v]=n\delta_{n+m}\eta^{uv} (*)

where \eta^{uv} is the Minkowski metric p^u|k>=k^u|k>

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my L0 attempt

- Consider L_0 |x>=0 to show that m^{2}=1/\alpha'

L_0=(\alpha_0^2+2\sum\limits_{n=  1}\alpha_{-n}\alpha_{n}-1)

So first of all looking at the first term of |x>

I need to consider: L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}

Considering the four product operator and using the commutators in the same way as done for L_1 I get from this:

L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+4-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> (**)

Here's how I got itdropped indices in places, but just to give idea, \eta^{uv} the minkowksi metric)

2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1} |k> = 2(\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1+\eta)\alpha_{-1})|k> = 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k> = 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}+\eta)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k> =2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(0+\eta|k>)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>) = 2(2\alpha_{-1}.\alpha_{-1})

so from (**) I have:

L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0 =(2\alpha'p^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0

\implies 2\alpha'p^2+3=0  \implies 2(-m^2)\alpha'=-3

So I get  m^{2}=3/\alpha' and not 1/\alpha'

Any help much appreciated ( I see the mass is independent of A and B so I thought I'd deal with the first term before confusing my self to see why these terms vanish)
    Attached Images

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 19, 2017
Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.