Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I want to quit my saturday job, I'm no longer enjoying it and I want to gain experience in other places, but I dont know how?

I know i should write a resignation letter with 2 week notice but what do I say to my boss? its a sort of family business kinda thing, i think her parents owed the place and gave it to her and she has 2 pharmacys open (im a counter assistant person)

I could use school as an excuse but we are mid way through exam season so i dont know how useful it would be. i've been working there for nearly a year next month, i am 17 and i'm paid 30 for 8 hours (so minimum wage) i dont know how she calculated my pay but she has that kind of person where she doesn't like to negotiate and to be honest all my co-workers comment on the pay and how she doesn't want to pay any of them properly
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by sfaraj)
    I want to quit my saturday job, I'm no longer enjoying it and I want to gain experience in other places, but I dont know how?

I know i should write a resignation letter with 2 week notice but what do I say to my boss? its a sort of family business kinda thing, i think her parents owed the place and gave it to her and she has 2 pharmacys open (im a counter assistant person)

I could use school as an excuse but we are mid way through exam season so i dont know how useful it would be. i've been working there for nearly a year next month, i am 17 and i'm paid 30 for 8 hours (so minimum wage) i dont know how she calculated my pay but she has that kind of person where she doesn't like to negotiate and to be honest all my co-workers comment on the pay and how she doesn't want to pay any of them properly
    Just give her something like this. Amend it as you need to,

Short resignation letter template

[Your address]

[date]

Mr/Mrs/Miss[Manager’s name]

[Company name and address]

Dear [manager’s name]

This letter is to notify you I’ve decided to resign from my role as [insert job title here].

Please accept this letter as my official notice. I have been employed for just under a year and I understand the required statutory notice period is one week for anyone who has been employed for less than two years. This would make my last shift the following Saturday.

Or

Because my contract requires me to give [xx amount of weeks/months] , my last day here would be on the [insert date].

I have decided to focus on my schoolwork or I have decided to try something different or just don’t say anything.

Thank you for the opportunities you have given me during my time here and if there’s anything I can do to make the transition easier, please let me know.

Yours Sincerely,

[Your name]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    just give her something like this. Amend it as you need to,
    thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)

I'd for another art time job first. It will be easier to get one if you are already employed. Then when you get one just use the excuse that the new one is more money/better hours/less computing.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.