Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AS Level English Literature OCR Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the English Lit exam next week (the one based on drama). I'm studying A Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby.

Does anyone have any key revision tips? And can anyone give a general prediction as to what's likely to come up?

ReputationRep:
    I do Gatsby and Jerusalem.

I don't know about streetcar.

But whatever it is, make sure that your essay ticks the AO boxes.

For Gatsby, make sure you use the AO4 passage to build each of your normal Gatsby points and to elevate your essay. I like to think of it as including an AO4 point for each piece of specific language analysis (AO2) that you do. Try to ensure that you write as least as much about context as you do for specific language analysis.

For Gatsby it's really hard to predict what will come up because: 1) they have a weird extra passage 2) they only have one q and 3) last year they did character, but every previous year they did a theme question. I think it was Daisy last year but I don't actually know.

Pretty much impossible to predict the question, but if you know lots about the main characters and themes: american dream, corruption of american values, appearance v reality etc. and Tom, Daisy, Gatsby, Nick, Jordan, Myrtle then you can apply that to any question.

One Key tip: when you read the passage they give you, they will have intended their question to reflect what happens in the passage. Therefore, any parallels you can see between Gatsby and the passage are extremely helpful. So, if the passage is about the failure of the American dream and the corruption of american values, then you know that that's what they want to see. Frame your essay around that. In the essay, they may have a Gatsby-esque character whom you can compare to Gatsby. However, they could have other comparisons - whatever the major comparison is, try to make that a major part of your essay.

Good luck!

On a side note, does anyone do Jerusalem??

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.