Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

help which course should I do!!!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    1 5 minutes ago Report post
    Hi, im sitting my alevels at the moment but no sure which course i should do. Have got an offer for radiotherapy in jordanstown and primary teaching with english in st marys teaching college belfast. I need 3 b's for radiotherapy and a AAB for teaching. i also put english and history at queens second which requires ABB. i had an ACC at as but was hopping repeats would pull me up! My alevels are history,english and biology. I also sat chemistry at as but didnt do so well!! Still not 100% what career i should do. teaching/radiotherapy/english adn history with post grad in teaching or speech and language therapy/media (news) career/law/political career(but not politician lol!) or should i take a year out and reapply for nursing!? So sorry i know this is alot but really not sure what to do!!!!

ReputationRep:
    You need to do some serious research about all these careers are like. What kind of jobs can you get? What would you be doing day to day? Look at a broad range and see what interests you the most. It sounds like you don't know much about any of these things too much in depth yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusky Mauve)
    You need to do some serious research about all these careers are like. What kind of jobs can you get? What would you be doing day to day? Look at a broad range and see what interests you the most. It sounds like you don't know much about any of these things too much in depth yet.
    I have undertaken work experience in radiotherapy, teaching and speech and language therapy. The reason i am unsure is because i am a 'rounded' person in therms of my intelectual ability and skills. The one thing i definiately know is that i want to help people.I just want to make sure i am choosing the right career!

ReputationRep:
    These are very different career options and the decision should not be taken lightly, my advice would be to finish your A-Levels, take a year out and figure out what you want to do. The last thing you want to do is make the wrong decision and waste tens of thousands of £s getting a degree in something you don't enjoy! There really is no rush, good luck with whatever you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    Personally a career relating to english/ history just sounds boring, but thats just me. Do you know if this is a hard 'sector' to get into because it sounds it. You probably can't do law or politics/ media stuff without the SPECIFIC a-levels/ degrees- im not an expert though.
    I'm doing Healthcare science at uni, and assuming radiotherapy is similar you probably do placements like with my course, and I've heard a lot of people get job offers from doing these placements.
    If you think teaching is something you'd want to do I'd just take a 'normal' degree and then take teaching post-grad. That way you have a greater range of career options. Teaching can be really stressful too so are you the right kind of person.
    If you really dont know what to do I'd suggest taking a year out. You can gather some money for uni and then retake modules at the end of the year if you need to, there's no rush.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.