Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Feel like all my hard work is going to waste? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not really naturally talented in any subject, but i do work hard. I study AS subjects and have been revsing since December, with not as much social life compared to everyone else.

But I keep making stupid silly mistakes in the exam hall and I feel like I am not going to get the grades that my teachers think i can get and importantly the grades that I actually deserve.

(Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I am not really naturally talented in any subject, but i do work hard. I study AS subjects and have been revsing since December, with not as much social life compared to everyone else.

But I keep making stupid silly mistakes in the exam hall and I feel like I am not going to get the grades that my teachers think i can get and importantly the grades that I actually deserve.

You are thinking too much. Just focus n using the time you have left in the best way to deliver you to the exam in the best condition. Worrying gives you nothing, now is the time to focus and fight for your grades by trying your best.

ReputationRep:
    What subjects are you doing? There are often strategies to do better in exams depending on the subject:

For maths questions, there are often several ways to reach the correct answer. While elegant methods won't boost your marks, they can save you precious time that you can use for checking. Practice to spot the shortcuts and be prepared to use everything in your arsenal to arrive at the answer. To check, use your calculator, try a different method or work it backwards. You want to leave the exam feeling confident. In A-level papers, a lot of questions are "show that", meaning you can do the second part of the question even if you can't do the first part since the answer is given.

For essay subjects (or even something like science), make sure you really think about the material. What are the positive and negative implications? This is the key to really understanding something.

Exam strategy is also an issue. When I do past papers, I tend to whizz through the papers, taking anything from 15% (yes, that's GCSE Business and Economics for you) to 60% of the time given. There is no bonus for finishing early. So pace yourself and aim to finish with enough time to check your answers but no more. Make your answers thorough and safe - make sure the examiner has no reason to take marks off you.

Silly mistakes do happen (I've had my fair share), but if your teachers think you can get a grade, I'm sure it's possible.

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.