Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Daith piercing problem Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got my piercing on Saturday. I've had in for 5 days and it's been giving me problems. It's really swollen, red and there is a little bit of pus. I really want to take it out but I'm not sure. I've read that if I take out the piercing then it with stop the pus from draining and that will make it worse. However, I really want to take it out because it's swollen and painful. What should I do? Has anyone else been this situation? 😂😬

ReputationRep:
    I've had this before. I know NHS choices recommends not taking it out; it if gets worse follow their advice and go to the Dr. You'll know if it gets worse because your ear will not just be painful, but will throb, be very red even if you leave it alone, and be hot to the touch. You may get pain in the side of your face and have a temperature. If this is the case you will probably need antibiotics.

If it is very swollen you will have to use your judgement - is it getting so bad the affected area is swelling up around the ear piercing? I.e. is it getting 'swallowed'? If so I would consider removing it whilst you can still do it manually. I ended up doing this, because the piecing opening mechanism was getting lost in my ear (gross) the swelling was so bad, even though I was cleaning it carefully and repeatedly. I think I got soil in it by accident (I'm an archaeologist), and I had to have antibiotics in the end.

For the pain take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen. You can also get antiseptic creams with localised numbing ingredients in them over the counter.

If it is only swollen a little then leave it in. Clean it regularly with boiled, hot (but not boiling hot! You'll **** it up more if you burn your ear) salted water. Only use a little salt - say 2/3 of a teaspoon or so to a litre, as you don't want to dry your skin out. Only touch it with clean hands or clean cotton buds. Don't wriggle or twist the piercing, or pick any crust/ scab away with your fingernails, dip the cotton bud in the salted water and use that to loosen it. Once you've swabbed your ear with the cotton bud once, get a new one, don't keep using the same one to repeatedly touch your ear. If your hair is long enough to touch it, keep it tied up, as it could make any infection worse. If that doesn't help clear it up in a couple of days then go to the Dr. In the meantime you could also go to the place you got it pierced - a reputable pace will be happy to offer advice.

I'm not a medical expert, I'm only going off my own experience!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 19, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.