Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Xbox live at the University of Hertfordshire watch

ReputationRep:
    IS the connection at Herts good enough for xbox live, would my room be provided a ether net cable? And is the connection good for multiplayer games? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft recommends a 0.5 MB/s upload and 3 MB/s download speed, with a latency of no more than 150ms for playing online games.

My internet is much, much worse than that (rural area) and I rarely have an issue playing Titanfall or Battlefield that can't be attributed to something on the server end. I doubt a university would offer a connection slow enough to disrupt online play. I wouldn't worry too much on that front.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey Charlie,

The connection should be fine for xbox live. I had a friend who used it without too many problems and didn't have much lag.

However it can be unstable at times, so you may get disconnects, especially with wi-fi. I know some rooms do come with ethernet ports.

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Trebus)
    Hey Charlie,

The connection should be fine for xbox live. I had a friend who used it without too many problems and didn't have much lag.

However it can be unstable at times, so you may get disconnects, especially with wi-fi. I know some rooms do come with ethernet ports.

All the best,

David
    So is having an ethernet port just chance? I am in the new Newton court flats, is there any way to know if they have them?

Thanks,

Charlie
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey Charlie,

My advice would be to contact accommodations:

[email protected]

They'll hopefully be able to tell you if those halls have them!

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    Does depend on how UniofHerts IT's JANET configuration is arranged. You can pretty much forget trying to get it to connect to an eduroam network, as that requires a dedicated non-user token, no sysadmin in their right mind is going to issue one for an xbox.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.