Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Xbox live at the University of Hertfordshire Watch

ReputationRep:
    IS the connection at Herts good enough for xbox live, would my room be provided a ether net cable? And is the connection good for multiplayer games? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft recommends a 0.5 MB/s upload and 3 MB/s download speed, with a latency of no more than 150ms for playing online games.

My internet is much, much worse than that (rural area) and I rarely have an issue playing Titanfall or Battlefield that can't be attributed to something on the server end. I doubt a university would offer a connection slow enough to disrupt online play. I wouldn't worry too much on that front.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey Charlie,

The connection should be fine for xbox live. I had a friend who used it without too many problems and didn't have much lag.

However it can be unstable at times, so you may get disconnects, especially with wi-fi. I know some rooms do come with ethernet ports.

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Trebus)
    Hey Charlie,

The connection should be fine for xbox live. I had a friend who used it without too many problems and didn't have much lag.

However it can be unstable at times, so you may get disconnects, especially with wi-fi. I know some rooms do come with ethernet ports.

All the best,

David
    So is having an ethernet port just chance? I am in the new Newton court flats, is there any way to know if they have them?

Thanks,

Charlie
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey Charlie,

My advice would be to contact accommodations:

[email protected]

They'll hopefully be able to tell you if those halls have them!

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    Does depend on how UniofHerts IT's JANET configuration is arranged. You can pretty much forget trying to get it to connect to an eduroam network, as that requires a dedicated non-user token, no sysadmin in their right mind is going to issue one for an xbox.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 23, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.