Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Contraception Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm off to uni in September and want to go on contraception, but I don't really want the pill as I will be doing shift work with my course, so taking a pill at the same time everyday won't be ideal. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what was best for you? I need all the advice and stories!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a solid answer for you because I have used the pill but some options to the pill would be an IUD and there are injectable birth control but I'm not familiar with the names. But, for any long term birth control your going to need to go to a doctor and your doctor is the best person to talk to about this. Another option, if you're concerned you won't remember to take the pill, is to just keep a condom in your purse or wallet and have extras in your room so you always have protection available even if the guy does not. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    There are so many options that may work for you and it can take time to find which one may be best. There is a website that has a questionnaire that cleverly work out which one may be best suited for you https://www.brook.org.uk/our-service...raception-tool

The website helped me to decide which one was best for my own lifestyle!

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of things you should get an IUD. But your doctor will probably make you take the pill for 3 months before hand go make sure that the hormones work. So speak to your doctor soon if you want it put in before you go.

ReputationRep:
    I get the depo injection every 12 weeks so don't have to worry about medication

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was going to mention the injection. But I was told by my GP they wouldn't use it as the first thing just in case it didn't work or something. Whereas if I'm having problems with the pill, they can just switch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I was going to mention the injection. But I was told by my GP they wouldn't use it as the first thing just in case it didn't work or something. Whereas if I'm having problems with the pill, they can just switch.
    It's the first contraception type I used, I didn't start with the pill or anything prior. I saw a nurse practioner not a GP, I think nurses are the ones who tend to give contraceptive prescriptions rather than GPs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the implant 4 months ago and although i was a bit hormonal for the first two months everything has settled down now, cannot recommend it enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilymcpartland)
    There are so many options that may work for you and it can take time to find which one may be best. There is a website that has a questionnaire that cleverly work out which one may be best suited for you https://www.brook.org.uk/our-service...raception-tool

The website helped me to decide which one was best for my own lifestyle!

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I got the implant 4 months ago and although i was a bit hormonal for the first two months everything has settled down now, cannot recommend it enough.

Really?! That's the one I'm the most keen on but a few of my friends have said it gave them severe mood swings and a continuous period with bad cramps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefully1)
    I don't have a solid answer for you because I have used the pill but some options to the pill would be an IUD and there are injectable birth control but I'm not familiar with the names. But, for any long term birth control your going to need to go to a doctor and your doctor is the best person to talk to about this. Another option, if you're concerned you won't remember to take the pill, is to just keep a condom in your purse or wallet and have extras in your room so you always have protection available even if the guy does not. Good Luck!
    Thank you! Good advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie419)
    By the sounds of things you should get an IUD. But your doctor will probably make you take the pill for 3 months before hand go make sure that the hormones work. So speak to your doctor soon if you want it put in before you go.
    I'm planning on getting an appointment soon but I have been thinking of an IUD

ReputationRep:
    Different things work for different people. I hated the implant. Great for the first few months as I had no periods, but after that horrible. Spontaneous bleeding, basically non stop spotting. I was always moody and annoyed because of it. Just hated it. The combined pill definitely works best for me.

hey, i've had the implant 2 months now and the only issue I had was the first period after i got it lasted almost 3 weeks, it was like a normal period for me (5 days) and then i just had light bleeding for the remainder of the 3 weeks. I was told to give it 6 months to settle in anyway, but so far so good. I'd definitely recommend something like this because you don't have to worry about it for 3 years (or until you have it taken out)

(Original post by ffion_bliss)
    Really?! That's the one I'm the most keen on but a few of my friends have said it gave them severe mood swings and a continuous period with bad cramps.
    Yeah my first period was 2 weeks long but no cramps and haven't had one since, I think it's different for everyone

ReputationRep:
    hey, i've had the implant 2 months now and the only issue I had was the first period after i got it lasted almost 3 weeks, it was like a normal period for me (5 days) and then i just had light bleeding for the remainder of the 3 weeks. I was told to give it 6 months to settle in anyway, but so far so good. I'd definitely recommend something like this because you don't have to worry about it for 3 years (or until you have it taken out)
    Oh really? That doesn't sound too bad! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my first period was 2 weeks long but no cramps and haven't had one since, I think it's different for everyone
    That doesn't sound too bad, thank you!

The implant gave me spotting for like 6 months + and it started giving me muscular pain in my left arm where I had it in. I came off it then started the pill. 5 different brands of pills later I finally found the one that was suited me.

I'm personally scared of the IUD moving during sex and the pain associated with it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 22, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you enjoy your job?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.