The Student Room Group

I'm failing at gcses

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RomanaChowdhury
GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you'll do well:smile:

Thanks, You too
Original post by Hollyhop23
In gcse i got seven c's, three d's (including both English language and literature) and an e in ict but that was because we had like three weeks to learn the whole exam unit plus i am terrible at ict and at my school everyone had to do it. But i am currently doing my AS exams while i am having to redo my english i was still able to do most of the courses i wanted to do. I was not able to do psychology like i wanted but instead i am doing criminology which i love. Grades are not the end of the world. Yes they are helpful to help you get to sixth form or college or a job etc but at the end of the day they are a letter/number they do not define who you are. Yes it can be disappointing on results day if you don't get the grades you want for example i was really hoping for a c in english but i got a d instead. And on results day i did cry because i had not done as well as expected and not able to do the courses i wanted but sometimes life dose not plan out like expected. Don't worry if you don't do as well as you hoped you will still be able to get to where you want to it might just take a little bit more time thats all.

Hope that made sense. I rambled on a bit there.

Great advice and it totally made sense:smile: Thank you so much!
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Your trying your best and that's what counts.

Thanks Hasnii x
Romana stop you'll be fine.
everyone came out the Spanish exam like you did im sure the grade boundaries will be low
Original post by Safamushtaq
Romana stop you'll be fine.

Lol Safa
I remember feeling the exact same way last year and everything felt super last minute (and honestly still does with my AS level exams), but your results often surprise you I found. For example, I had a panic attack in my AQA Physics exam and had to leave the room then completely rushed the last part, but still managed an A*. You'll surprise yourself, trust me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol Safa

:wink:
Original post by FreeTheDoggo
I remember feeling the exact same way last year and everything felt super last minute (and honestly still does with my AS level exams), but your results often surprise you I found. For example, I had a panic attack in my AQA Physics exam and had to leave the room then completely rushed the last part, but still managed an A*. You'll surprise yourself, trust me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully that happens in my case.
I really hate these exams. I feel like I'm revising for every exam the night before because I have exams everyday. RE Edexcel unit 1 and 8 were fine. But then I lost at least 10 marks on the AQA C1 chem paper. The worst of all- I revised so much for my AQA Spanish papers but I COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FAILED THEM!!! I really wanted an A* but the listening was impossible. I didn't understand a word. I possibly scraped 5 marks on that paper and definitely lost 12 marks on the reading (looked at the unofficial ms). I feel so stressed and have everyone expecting me to get A*s. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm moaning, I understand there are so many other students going through the same thing. Hopefully, our hard work will pay off.

The problem with GCSES based on my experience is that there are so many papers, and just one or two can ruin your confidence.
Tbh when i did my gcses there were definitely papers which i messed up on. But seriously Romana, dont worry about it. Theyre only one or two papers okay, the key thing is to have a positive mindset, you cant expect to smash all the papers! seriously. Its rare. And hopefully ums will be in your favour, try not to worry about the past. Whats done is done and you did your best. Now its time to move on and focus on your other papers. And if you smash all the other papers and mess up just two or three, thats okay. For now concentrate on the papers that you have left to do, do your best in them, maintain a positive mindset because thats key. If you expect to fail then you probably will tbh. Be positive, be confident in yourself that you have the ability to smash the exams. You dont know what your marks are gona be, and there are usually surprises when it comes to gcse results, so go out there and give it your best shot because im sure youve got this!
Original post by SyedkGillani
The problem with GCSES based on my experience is that there are so many papers, and just one or two can ruin your confidence.
Tbh when i did my gcses there were definitely papers which i messed up on. But seriously Romana, dont worry about it. Theyre only one or two papers okay, the key thing is to have a positive mindset, you cant expect to smash all the papers! seriously. Its rare. And hopefully ums will be in your favour, try not to worry about the past. Whats done is done and you did your best. Now its time to move on and focus on your other papers. And if you smash all the other papers and mess up just two or three, thats okay. For now concentrate on the papers that you have left to do, do your best in them, maintain a positive mindset because thats key. If you expect to fail then you probably will tbh. Be positive, be confident in yourself that you have the ability to smash the exams. You dont know what your marks are gona be, and there are usually surprises when it comes to gcse results, so go out there and give it your best shot because im sure youve got this!

👍👌
Exactly just smash your exams 🤜
everyone came out the Spanish exam like you did im sure the grade boundaries will be low

OMG Safa, you're killing my vibe! jk, the grade boundarires won't be low enough for me to get an overall A* I am sure.
OMG Safa, you're killing my vibe! jk, the grade boundarires won't be low enough for me to get an overall A* I am sure.

Well if it was hard, then yes the grade boundaries would be low.
At least you didn't mess up your RE UNIT 8 or Chemistry.
Reply 35
I'd recommend NOT looking at the mark scheme at all.. literally, after B1, C1 and French, all I heard were people going on about 'real answers'.
I honestly believe they hold no value, because first or all, we wont know which answers we got correct/incorrect on results day and secondly, people who do additional and triple for science have other exams to look towards, which count towards the overall grade; so I'd recommend not discussing or looking at unofficial MS's because for me, they seriously stress me out, which isn't what I need half way into exam period
Original post by Haider_A
I'd recommend NOT looking at the mark scheme at all.. literally, after B1, C1 and French, all I heard were people going on about 'real answers'.
I honestly believe they hold no value, because first or all, we wont know which answers we got correct/incorrect on results day and secondly, people who do additional and triple for science have other exams to look towards, which count towards the overall grade; so I'd recommend not discussing or looking at unofficial MS's because for me, they seriously stress me out, which isn't what I need half way into exam period

Thank you, this is the reason I don't want to look at these mark schemes because they make me feel dumb that I got the answers wrong. Hopefully those examiners are generous. 🙏
Well if it was hard, then yes the grade boundaries would be low.

advice from Thanda "theres no point crying over spilt milk"
advice from Thanda "theres no point crying over spilt milk"

'What's done has been done', I think it's like this in Macbeth.
Original post by SyedkGillani

Honestly, this has got to be one of the kindest messages I have ever recieved. Nice to know there are so many kind people in this world like you! I am very grateful for your advice and wish you luck in your future endeavours:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest