Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Can someone explain what Avogadro constant is numerically equal to? [MCQ] UNIT 1 Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Avogadro constant is numerically equal to the number of

A. ions in 1 mol of sodium chloride , NaCl

B. atoms in 1 mol of hydrogen gas, H2

C. electrons in 1 mol of helium gas, He

D. molecules in 1 mol of oxygen gas, O2

First off, I know there are:
    2 ions in NaCl
    2 atoms in H2
    2 electrons in He.
    1 molecule in O2

I got the the answer right, D, simply because it was the only one thats numerically different from the others. However, I don't understand what the question is asking.

Avogadro constant is numerically equal to 6.0 x 10^23 mol-1 right? how is it numerically equal to 1? Can someone explain in English please? Thanks

Could it be because for answers A, B and C, you'd get a value for 1.2 x 10^24 mol-1?

ReputationRep:
    2 moles of ions in one mole of nacl (1 mole of na , 1 mole of cl-, total is two)apply that logic to the no of atoms in one mole of h2 gas (2 atoms per molecule, so 2x1 moles of atoms per one mole of gas)he has 2 electrons per molecule, so 2 moles of electrons per mole of helium atomsthats why the first three are wrongone mole means 6x10^23 things (molecules/electrons...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pellseason)
    2 moles of ions in one mole of nacl (1 mole of na , 1 mole of cl-, total is two)apply that logic to the no of atoms in one mole of h2 gas (2 atoms per molecule, so 2x1 moles of atoms per one mole of gas)he has 2 electrons per molecule, so 2 moles of electrons per mole of helium atomsthats why the first three are wrongone mole means 6x10^23 things (molecules/electrons...)
    thanks pell season

ReputationRep:
    you know... sometimes... when situations arise which arent ideal, you just gotta say: puiown puiown uh uhh **** thaat

ReputationRep:
    hi... i did a minoshez. stay back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainJackFail)

2 ions in NaCl
    2 atoms in H2
    2 electrons in He.
    1 molecule in O2

I got the the answer right, D, simply because it was the only one thats numerically different from the others. However, I don't understand what the question is asking.

Avogadro constant is numerically equal to 6.0 x 10^23 mol-1 right? how is it numerically equal to 1? Can someone explain in English please? Thanks
    Just remember the Avogadro constant (Na) = 6.02 x 10^23 of (anything you like really) in 1 mol of anything. The most commonly used application is molecules or atoms.

There are 2 ions in NaCl, so that would be 2 x the Avogadro constant.

Same goes for H2.

The actual number of electrons in 1 mol of He is twice the Avogadro constant.

There are 6.02 x 10^23 molecules in one mole of O2, so D is right.

ReputationRep:
    D, no.of molecules in a mole of substance.

ReputationRep:
    who am i why am i even here man muhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. okay; lets take a trip through my mind and see what we find. tka diinuninunnuninuniinu diinuninunnuninuniinu yeahhh, okay, yo; in high school, bage wasnt a helpful student, he dropped out cuz teachers would never help him through it, if i dont save this rap gamee who else will do it, this is my motherfukin world welcome to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainJackFail)

2 ions in NaCl
    2 atoms in H2
    2 electrons in He.
    1 molecule in O2

Could it be because for answers A, B and C, you'd get a value for 1.2 x 10^24 mol-1?
    man... i gotta thank yeeztown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pellseason)
    (Original post by _NMcC_)
    Just remember the Avogadro constant (Na) = 6.02 x 10^23 of (anything you like really) in 1 mol of anything. The most commonly used application is molecules or atoms.

There are 2 ions in NaCl, so that would be 2 x the Avogadro constant.

Same goes for H2.

The actual number of electrons in 1 mol of He is twice the Avogadro constant.

There are 6.02 x 10^23 molecules in one mole of O2, so D is right.
    I edited my post with my reasoning, so for the other 3 answers you'd get 1.2 x 10^24 mol-1, which isn't numerically equal to the avogadro constant, 6x10^23 mol-1.
    Thanks a lot guys!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techcloud14)
    D, no.of molecules in a mole of substance.
    america snackees advert,when people fall on an xbox and the tv of and explodes...im bordeaux

life part 5

Poll
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.