Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Am I The Only One Who's Extremely Stressed For English Literature? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisno123)
    no, what exam board r u
    AQA

They do have more than one specimen paper though I think so you may just not have gotten it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastelx)
    Did you get a mock question or specimen paper about "how Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a hero"? I really liked that question
    Yeah and i got 18/34 which im guessing is quite **** tbh

ReputationRep:
    You literally can't revise for English, I don't give a **** what English teachers say. You just gotta learn the quotes, Learn the themes + context in the book and pray to not get a mental block in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraceMary17xx)
    I do AQA, Romeo and Juliet, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and poetry, and I have my first paper on Monday! AND IM SO STRESSED!!! I am good at English, I get mid to high 8s consistently, but I'm a scientist, I need right and wrong, I like to have a set answer that I know is right, so yeah, I don't like Lit! Has anyone got any tips for how they deal with lit anxiety, or please just feel free to rant like I have!
    I relate to you 100% about the set answer thing english lit and art are so vague i despise these subjects. you just make points up and use a quotes to back them up and give context there's no set answer,there's no formulae that's why i hate it.

Anyway about the english lit exam.

This is the first time english lit has had a closed book exam and no one knows what to expect even the exam boards are going mad. Anyway likely chance the grade boundaries are gonna be low like most times when a new type of paper is first used, so it won't be hard to get a pass, furthermore how many actual year 11s revise? honestly it's a joke so the majority of year 11s in the country won't know any quotes and will only refer to the source. And not to mention the 2 hour and 15 minute exam people will just give up honestly.

My head teacher (who is also my english lit teacher) predicted this and has worked with AQA, furthermore she has a PHD in english literature and i'm not saying what she says is true but it does make sense.

Overall the grade boundaries for this exam will be the lowest they will ever be cause no one knows what to expect there are no past papers only a practice one.

And as long as you're a good student and remember a couple quotes and are able to give context to them you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsadUllah900)
    I relate to you 100% about the set answer thing english lit and art are so vague i despise these subjects. you just make points up and use a quotes to back them up and give context there's no set answer,there's no formulae that's why i hate it.

This is the first time english lit has had a closed book exam and no one knows what to expect even the exam boards are going mad. Anyway likely chance the grade boundaries are gonna be low like most times when a new type of paper is first used, so it won't be hard to get a pass, furthermore how many actual year 11s revise? honestly it's a joke so the majority of year 11s in the country won't know any quotes and will only refer to the source. And not to mention the 2 hour and 15 minute exam people will just give up honestly.

My head teacher (who is also my english lit teacher) predicted this and has worked with AQA, furthermore she has a PHD in english literature and i'm not saying what she says is true but it does make sense.

Overall the grade boundaries for this exam will be the lowest they will ever be cause no one knows what to expect there are no past papers only a practice one.

And as long as you're a good student and remember a couple quotes and are able to give context to them you should be fine.

Thank you so much! I have been thinking along those lines anyway, but hearing someone else say it is very reassuring!

I know loads of quotations and we do a lot of work on context, so I do feel prepared!

Yeah,mi absolutely hate the subject!

ReputationRep:
    What do people think the grade boundaries are going to be for paper 1?
    Or the rough grade boundaries for one question out of 30 (if we ignore the 4 SPaG marks)?

ReputationRep:
    Just as a general advice, if you can argue your point convincingly then an examiner has to accept it because as people have said there are no right/wrong answers.

ReputationRep:
    If someone is doing power an conflict poems please send me a sample essay on two poems because I don't know how to structure it and what to say in the essay.... PLEASE HELP

ReputationRep:
    pipe down champ il smash you silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donnaseemchandra)
    Go paint you skag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastelx)
    What do people think the grade boundaries are going to be for paper 1?
    Or the rough grade boundaries for one question out of 30 (if we ignore the 4 SPaG marks)?
    9 - 56 / 64
    8 - 51 / 64
    7 - 46 / 64
    6 - 40 / 64
    5 - 35 / 64
    4 - 29 / 64
    3 - 24 / 64
    2 - 18 / 64
    1 - 13 / 64

That would be my personal estimate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donnaseemchandra)
    Ah, ah, Donna, what are yu doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsadUllah900)

You have no idea how reassuring this is, I don't even give a **** anymore

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stressed i've memorized like 20 quotes for Macbeth and about 8 for a Christmas carol, but the quotes i've learned for Macbeth are too hard, so i took it down to about 15 and now im still stressed as i don't know if it is enough i can barely say the other 5 quotes which i left out, even though im sooo flippin stressed. I'm predicted to get an 8 in the mock we did i got a total of 118/160 and apparently that is a 6 which i think is too high for a 6, i thought 70% would at least be a 7 considering the fact that you need to know sooo much content, god knows how much i need for an 8!

ReputationRep:
    Guys just chill............

Jokes

Better to remember 3 quotes for each theme setting and character so you can literally write about anything that comes up

ReputationRep:
    I'm freaking out too, as our school wasn't prepared for the new specification either. One tip I'd give is to spend five minutes at the start quickly annotating your extract and planning what you will say, then spend ten minutes on each paragraph in your essay before moving on to the next question. You should still have time to check over your answer at the end. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    9 - 56 / 64
    8 - 51 / 64
    7 - 46 / 64
    6 - 40 / 64
    5 - 35 / 64
    4 - 29 / 64
    3 - 24 / 64
    2 - 18 / 64
    1 - 13 / 64

That would be my personal estimate.
    Really? Don't you think those are really low? I feel like the grade boundaries to pass will be low, but I think the grade 9 and 8s will be wayyyy higher up. I thought it would be 56/64 for an 8, and 60/64 for a 9, but I sure as hell HOPE I'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
    Really? Don't you think those are really low? I feel like the grade boundaries to pass will be low, but I think the grade 9 and 8s will be wayyyy higher up. I thought it would be 56/64 for an 8, and 60/64 for a 9, but I sure as hell HOPE I'm wrong!
    no definitely not, considering the fact that it's a new GCSE with no past papers, I can't see a significant amount of people even getting a 60, let alone having a grade boundary set there. Remember that when the science papers were first introduce 40/60 was an A*, but now it's closer to 50/60. As specs go on longer, the grade boundaries go up as teachers have more practice and students have more past papers etc. If a grade 9 is set at 60 in the first year., there's pretty much no room for that mark to go up. They'll never design a question paper / mark scheme which sets a 9 at almost full marks in the first cohort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    no definitely not, considering the fact that it's a new GCSE with no past papers, I can't see a significant amount of people even getting a 60, let alone having a grade boundary set there. Remember that when the science papers were first introduce 40/60 was an A*, but now it's closer to 50/60. As specs go on longer, the grade boundaries go up as teachers have more practice and students have more past papers etc. If a grade 9 is set at 60 in the first year., there's pretty much no room for that mark to go up. They'll never design a question paper / mark scheme which sets a 9 at almost full marks in the first cohort.
    so what are your predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItzNico)
    so what are your predictions?
    I've already posted, they're above.

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.