Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Applying after A Level results (taking a gap year) Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am a prospective student for UCL currently in Year 12. The course I am really interested in at UCL is History of Art which has the entry requirements of ABB-AAA, furthermore it is expected that you have a pass in a foreign language GCSE. During secondary school I did not take a language at GCSE level and unfortunately due to circumstances will not be predicted within the entrance requirements. However, I have my heart set on the UCL course and now know I will do anything to get there. Therefore I aim to reach the requirements and make my application as strong as possible. My question is would I be able to apply after my A level results in 2018 for the 2019 undergraduate course, after a gap year working productively in Museums in Italy and then taking a french GCSE privately. Rather than applying this year and deferring for the gap year as many do.

Many thanks,

Pip50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip50)
    Hello!
    I am a prospective student for UCL currently in Year 12. The course I am really interested in at UCL is History of Art which has the entry requirements of ABB-AAA, furthermore it is expected that you have a pass in a foreign language GCSE. During secondary school I did not take a language at GCSE level and unfortunately due to circumstances will not be predicted within the entrance requirements. However, I have my heart set on the UCL course and now know I will do anything to get there. Therefore I aim to reach the requirements and make my application as strong as possible. My question is would I be able to apply after my A level results in 2018 for the 2019 undergraduate course, after a gap year working productively in Museums in Italy and then taking a french GCSE privately. Rather than applying this year and deferring for the gap year as many do.

Many thanks,

Pip50
    Yes, you can apply during your gap year. In your situation, it seems sensible.

However, you need to consider how you'll take the French GCSE. You'll need a lot of speaking and listening practice, so will need to find some form of formal classes or a tutor to do that. This can then be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    They will allow you to take a short course in a language if your application is successful. It's not entirely necessary to take it privately., Unless it's been changed since I last looked. But it will bolster your chances.

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.