Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Choosing Maths for A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saharan_skies)
    thank you!!! it does seem like a no-brainer doesnt it?? i guess its just the jitters of not being able to pass GCSE maths is what im really concerned about..
    Just work hard for your GCSEs, is all I can say - it's pretty straightforward and especially since you're interested in Phy and Chem anyway (which are harder A levels than Maths), you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It's AQA at the school I want to go to, which is a bit weird for me cause I've always only done Edexcel papers, why??
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...56-SP-2017.PDF

Page 3 of 42

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for the advice, I'll have to think about it more deeply!! i just dont know how you're doing biology for a levels, i cant even stand it in gcse >.>
    It's my favourite of all of them!!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I know that it's way too early in the game to be worrying about finalising my A-level options but I honestly really badly need help with something.

I love Maths, okay, I think it's a really good subject and helpful in logical thinking; but I can't help but feel that I will not be able to do it since I am really not good at problem solving at all, I see the maths problem and it just does not compute; my brain goes to panic mode, even though I probably know how to do the topic, I just don't know what steps to do first.

See, I'm taking Physics and Chemistry and I was wondering what you guys would think about me not taking Maths. Should I do so? Should I not? Could you help me out and give me your advice????

Much thanks
    save yourself some pain and do philosophy instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmLo12)
    It's my favourite of all of them!!
    anything to do with plants makes me want to hurl >.<!!!
    the human body is interesting but i really really really dont care about the transpiration stream or how to use a quadrat or transect
    whats your fave part of it, then??

ReputationRep:
    haha, funny you should say that, im doing that as my fourth a level!! (its my only essay based subject which im thankful for ;
    (Original post by 2281303)
    save yourself some pain and do philosophy instead

ReputationRep:
    haha, funny you should say that, im doing that as my fourth a level!! (its my only essay based subject which im thankful for ;
    Yeah I do Maths Business Stidies and Biology as well as Sociology as a relaxing A level

ReputationRep:
    anything to do with plants makes me want to hurl >.<!!!
    the human body is interesting but i really really really dont care about the transpiration stream or how to use a quadrat or transect
    whats your fave part of it, then??
    That's a tough one!! Probably biological molecules (it's the easiest!) I hated it at GCSE too.. (quadrats are the worst) I wasn't even planning on taking it for A level but then i saw its potential why don't you like it??

ReputationRep:
    you're a smart person
    enjoy that philosophy A Level

i highly recommend taking it to Degree level too

ReputationRep:
    oooh, thats a very interesting mix! (I really like the look of sociology) what are you thinking of doing for further studies then ?
    (Original post by ExoIceCream99)
    Yeah I do Maths Business Stidies and Biology as well as Sociology as a relaxing A level

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing physics A Level, then you should 100% do maths to at least AS Level. You will definitely struggle with some physics otherwise. AS Maths is far easier than A2 Maths though, so be wary...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmLo12)
    That's a tough one!! Probably biological molecules (it's the easiest!) I hated it at GCSE too.. (quadrats are the worst) I wasn't even planning on taking it for A level but then i saw its potential why don't you like it??
    i think its just that GCSE bio is so much memorising it's insane; like in comparison to all the other sciences, it has the most things to revise over and over. Also, half of b3 is geography and I chose history to escape that ish ahahah x_x I guess I just like physics because I really love the theories even though sometimes it's hard for me to comprehend probably haaha.
    one thing I do like about b3 is part of it is mainly about common sense like the whole feeding the world and fish stocks part of it.
    biological molecules, that sounds really interesting, but im also sort of terrified of the tiny tiny pores in our skins. like ive seen pictures of it and it makes me quite ill -shivers-

ReputationRep:
    ahhhhhhh, my school doesnt offer maths as an AS unfortunately (( i'll probably have to power through it!^^
    (Original post by nelsonbarnaby)
    If you are doing physics A Level, then you should 100% do maths to at least AS Level. You will definitely struggle with some physics otherwise. AS Maths is far easier than A2 Maths though, so be wary...

ReputationRep:
    ahhhhhhh, my school doesnt offer maths as an AS unfortunately (( i'll probably have to power through it!^^
    Can you not take it for the first year (C1, C2 and M1 would be good) and then drop it?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think so at all, i talked to the head of sixth form maths there and he said to me that four a levels would 'open up' opportunities or smt
    (Original post by nelsonbarnaby)
    Can you not take it for the first year (C1, C2 and M1 would be good) and then drop it?

ReputationRep:
    i think its just that GCSE bio is so much memorising it's insane; like in comparison to all the other sciences, it has the most things to revise over and over. Also, half of b3 is geography and I chose history to escape that ish ahahah x_x I guess I just like physics because I really love the theories even though sometimes it's hard for me to comprehend probably haaha.
    one thing I do like about b3 is part of it is mainly about common sense like the whole feeding the world and fish stocks part of it.
    biological molecules, that sounds really interesting, but im also sort of terrified of the tiny tiny pores in our skins. like ive seen pictures of it and it makes me quite ill -shivers-
    Yep! I completely see where you're coming from Physics gets WAY more interesting in Y13 from looking at the spec but I kinda hate it so i'm going to drop it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm not a fan of geometry but a-level isn't really very much problem solving and they sign post a lot of things in the questions and most of the time tell you directly what to do. You need to get your arithmetic really solid if you want to do well in core 1 though. Doing maths definitely helps a lot with physics, especially if you do mechanics modules.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think so at all, i talked to the head of sixth form maths there and he said to me that four a levels would 'open up' opportunities or smt
    Ah okay then... Could always do 4 until summer this year and then drop maths saying you have too much work to focus on in other subjects. C1, C2 and M1 will all make physics far easier though.

ReputationRep:
    I took maths last year at A-level and unless your a maths genius I'd warn you that you'll probably struggle (just being honest). I loved maths at GCSE and got an A but it is a GIANT leap from GCSE to A level I'm predicted a D/C (targets an A) and half of my class are still getting U grades on practice papers still (and the exams have already started!) you have to get 50% of the marks on the paper just to get an E/D which is part of the reason its impossible. I have the same problem as you maths just doesn't work in my brain and that's why I struggle with it (I did papers and questions every night for months and it didn't help this problem) I could tell you every method in the text book but I'm rubbish at applying that to questions. EVERYONE hates it! However it does go with your other subjects and I've heard from many people in the year above that it starts to click in the second year (I really hope they're right). Basically my point is if you love it go for it might get better in the second year but right now I hate my life <3 Good luck

ReputationRep:
    oooh, thats a very interesting mix! (I really like the look of sociology) what are you thinking of doing for further studies then ?
    I had not decided until a couple weeks ago. Wish I took psychology now😂

Studying a BSc in Criminology, Forensics science or crime and investigation studies, then a masters around that area

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.